MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2010, 05:29 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberlix View Post
This will be interesting to see, there was a company a couple of years ago that did a set of cardboard speakers for computer enthusiasts that folded up so they could be carried. Though i believe they were based on a planar design.
It was an NXT based design.

My 1st cardboard speaker boxes were for a set of Joran-Watts over 30 years ago.

My last set of cardboard speakers, convinced me thou that Chris would have spent less time slapping together a plywood set (a set of Metronomes for a set of unobtainium TB 3").

dave
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:24 PM   #42
Oberlix is offline Oberlix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Planet 10 I stand corrected
Old 4th December 2010, 09:02 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Default 1/2'' cardboard

Two pieces of cardboard glued together is about 1/2''
per the original design.

Cutting carboard is indeed time consuming. And now I've
promised to build my little cousin a cardboard car.

Sorry for the blurry picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carboard thickness.jpg (265.7 KB, 1240 views)
Old 4th December 2010, 10:14 PM   #44
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe this thing can work - cardboard doesn't resonate much. Plan to add a lot of stiffening if you can. Glue some strips of cardboard edge on to some of the internal faces to provide added stiffness, like beams underneath a wooden floor.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:50 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures

Ok, first off, making these has been a lot of fun but very time consuming. Once everything is assembled, the cardboard feels pretty darn rigid.

A friend and I did the first listening test yesterday evening - no lining yet on the inside and without the divider thingy that goes behind the driver. In my large living room, placed far away from the boundries they sounded pretty amazing on all types of music. My friend isn't one to spare my feelings and even he really enjoyed them. Of course, they couldn't play to loud but for what they are, there were no glaring issues.

Next we moved them to a small room and there they sounded pretty horrible. As a complete non-expert, the best I can say is that they hurt our ears and sounded veiled maybe.

Back to the living room and they sounded great again. Wish I had a sub to try them out with.

Making these I figured these would work well in a small room, on a desk as computer speakers, etc. I was surprised at how well they worked in a big room.

Well, today I finished lining them with some foam used for preventing drafts under doors. The results aren't good. One benefit seems to be they are playing much louder, at least the upper frequencies definitely are. The problem is they hurt to listen to. They are really stabbing at my ears. Also the balance seems to be gone in the frequencies. Well, that's the best I can describe it.

So, where to from here? I'll start taking off some lining a little at a time. Problem is I'm not sure from where to start. Should I start from the top above the divider thingy or from the bottom, back, front?

Still considiring a notch or tweeter. If I can find the parts for a notch, I might try that and I might test with a tweeter on top. First I have to solve the lining problem. I was pretty disapointed when the sound went from good to bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carboard1.jpg (243.7 KB, 1172 views)
File Type: jpg Carboardfrontbaffle.jpg (174.9 KB, 1125 views)
File Type: jpg Insideview_no_lining.jpg (239.9 KB, 1124 views)
File Type: jpg Insideview_w_lining.jpg (235.7 KB, 1117 views)
File Type: jpg cardboard_in_livingroom.jpg (227.8 KB, 591 views)
Old 7th December 2010, 09:35 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I guess this foam is "closed-cell" type. Can you breathe through? No? Then it only reduces the Box volume.. And, no damping of mid frequencies. Makes things worse...
Old 7th December 2010, 09:46 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Just gave it a try. I'm able to breathe through it. Maybe I used too much.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:09 PM   #48
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmmm. I can't see the enclosure causing a harsh unbearable sound unless there are copious reflections from directly behind the driver (I put felt on all surfaces) or the bass has disappeared and you only have hf left to listen to (which might happen if the enclosure is flexing like a balloon or is poorly sealed except for the port).

Drivers can take some time to break-in. The Fountek drivers didn't change as drastically as the Fostex drivers I had before (which went from truly awful to OK in about 2 hours and to very good after 100 hours) but it does take a hours of play to bed them in. I'm not sure why, but playing them exercises all the materials and moving parts.

Another thing, I use a tube amp and it appears to be a better match to FR drivers than any of my SS amps.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:24 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I took the lining out of the top chamber and the sound improved significantly. Next I removed the lining off the front baffle and it's even better. The harshness has almost disapeared. Might actually be fine at this point, but it sounds like something is slightly off. Still a tiny bit of harshness there. I'll listen again tomorrow and maybe try taking out all the foam and replacing it with felt.
Old 10th December 2010, 05:19 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Unpainted

After a lot of playing around with the lining, I've glued the 'cabinet' shut. Near field and placed close together beside my computer these sound almost perfect.
I'm really enjoying them. Using the eq on foobar I can adjust frequencies if I need to and lower bass output so they don't work too hard. Really though, they sound great. Again, wish I could listen to them with a sub and a proper receiver.

BTW, one of the channels on my t-amp died out during all this

Next, I have to figure out how to paint them or cover them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unpainted.jpg (234.8 KB, 664 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!