Martello enclosure for FR88EX

these wouldn’t be the first pair of DIY speakers on this forum that never got painted because they were in use :D

Have more faith in the mankind! :-D

Attachments

• 20200411_LR_183404-2.jpg
    20200411_LR_183404-2.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 300
Nobody built any Martellos for a year then? :p I just built a pair with some Visaton FRS-8M's in them, because that is what I could get hold of (that were not silly money). These are very near-field on my desk (I can reach out and touch them), so I was not too bothered about the chances of exceeding xmax etc. - they are never going to be turned up that loud.

So far they are working for me - they are an upgrade on my desk from some very old Yamaha YST-M7's. First I need to let my ears adjust to the change, but initial impressions are the midrange is good, and soundstage and detail is very nice. Obviously bass is not their strong point, but there is enough for casual listening at my desk. Top end might be a bit 'splashy', but then my old ears probably don't hear that high any more either...

Mounting the FRS8-M's was a pain in the fingers - the edges of the mount are so thin (so little overhang) that it is pretty hard to ensure there is an airtight seal. I mounted them from the front. Next time I might have tried mounting from the back. Either way I think it's going to be tricky.

Kudos for the plans. This is my first speaker build for, cough, ooh, 35 years or so...

Obligatory picture then. Not the best plywood - I found a nasty void just where I was mounting one of the drivers that I had to then fill. But, it's what I had to hand. Simple finish with Danish oil followed by wax.

martello_fr8m_small.JPG

I recently had a friends vintage Denon PM1560 on a visit for a touch up and hooked them to my Martellos which have been stationed in the workshop to listen to it. Sitting up close and listening to these speakers made me realize they need to be listened to more so they are now going on my desk for near field music. Great little boxes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, unfortunately one of my Fr88ex drivers recently died, so i am left with a single working martello speaker... It seems the driver is either discontinued or at least not well-stocked anywhere i've checked, so that leaves me wondering if the box alignment can be used for any other small FR driver? What are your thoughts?