MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 12:52 PM   #151
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sippy.

We're in the painting phase now. A coat of primer, a few spots of filler, some sand paper, back to the primer. After 4 or 5 coats of primer I'm ready to go and get a can of top coat.

I will get a photo of them with the Big'un. In the meantime, here's a photo of the first MARTELLO (red) with the MARTELLO-2 and on the right there is my ALPAIR sub-woofer (an older thread on here somewhere).

MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg primer.JPG (62.2 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg Martello 1 and 2.JPG (130.4 KB, 624 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 20th October 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:39 PM   #152
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nice "family" you are putting together!
Old 27th October 2012, 12:13 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Nice "family" you are putting together!
Thanks !

Quick photo of the paint job, going for the same "colonial red" colour as before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2197.JPG (122.4 KB, 560 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 4th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Well, another pair of MARTELLO's are finished !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.JPG (121.3 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg terminal cups.JPG (195.7 KB, 510 views)
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:48 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

and here they are in use, a happy 'customer'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martello at Js.jpg (33.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 25th November 2012, 02:37 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Well I've spent a lot of hours with these speakers, recently driven from my Cellini tube amp, Cambridge audio phono-pre and a NAD turntable.

They beat my Moon Onken speakers based on Fostex FE127. There's simply no doubt about it, the Fostex units even though famed and larger simply pale in comparison.

I'm so impressed with the sheer musicality of these little red speakers that I am wondering if Fountek have some larger drivers that I should be exploring.

Hello, Yes Fountek has a larger fullrange driver. Its a 5 inch fullrange driver called the Fr135ex. I have never heard it. So if you buy it let me know if it's worth $102.85 each? Jm
Old 25th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello, Yes Fountek has a larger fullrange driver. Its a 5 inch fullrange driver called the Fr135ex. I have never heard it. So if you buy it let me know if it's worth $102.85 each? Jm
It looks a rather nice driver to me but unfortunately I have not had a chance to hear it. With rare earth magnet, good size and construction, the price looks reasonable to me.

The FR plot looks quite reasonable - perhaps a slight concern around 8kHz where there could be a resonance going on. There's a recommended EQ filter to flatten the response here: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/FR135EX-Encl.pdf

I think I'd like to hear one of these in an ML-TL enclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR135EX.jpg (73.8 KB, 160 views)
Old 1st February 2014, 02:33 PM   #158
bknabe is offline bknabe  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First DIY Speaker build Martello w FSR8s

New to the forum, really enjoy reading all the posts. I had some small speakers hanging around and decided to try building the Martello v0.21 for my son who just moved into an apartment and has no stereo - new generation listens to everything from his phone. The amp is a Bluetooth TA2020. Haven't built the box for it yet. So, I didn't have the FR88EX drivers - only 3" were a pair of Visaton FRS-8 and a pair of TB WS-881SIs. Built up the cabinets with a few tweaks - used mitred cuts on the top and front. Still have to sand, paint and cover the speaker grills. They sound really nice to me. I used the FRS first since it seems the TB will need a NF. I also have a pair of Vifa TC7FD00-04 2.5 in drivers any suggestions for a cabinet for these?
Thanks,
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martello6.jpg (463.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg martello1.jpg (991.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg martello3.jpg (375.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg martello5.jpg (546.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by bknabe; 1st February 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10th February 2014, 01:11 AM   #159
DloKs is offline DloKs  United States
diyAudio Member

I joined this forum today and have really enjoyed reading this post - and malibujeff's build post as well. I'm building a CNC router with my father-in-law, this may be a great project to break in the new machine! Thanks for all the info!
Old 10th February 2014, 03:04 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Welcome both of you !

My Martello's are still in daily use - I like them a lot. We will look forward to seeing some photos from your CNC DloKs.

Bknabe - great job of the mitred joints!

p.s. for a larger option I also designed a compact floorstanding speaker (use Mark Audio CHR/P-70 instead of the obsoleted EL-70):

MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'

Last edited by Bigun; 10th February 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!