MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2011, 11:33 PM   #91
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Twin pair - that's not really a single 2" driver anymore !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:45 PM   #92
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No, it is 2 3" drivers.

dave
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:17 AM   #93
pabbi1 is offline pabbi1  United States
diyAudio Member

Some things are great - Beck 'Sea Change' and RadioHead 'OK Computer', and 'Sticky Fingers' is quite enjoyable. Tool (my challenge material) is, of course, less so.

Mayhaps thicker foam / felt? That they warrant the effort speaks volumes. Plenty of 'air', detail, and proper instrument / vocal placement. Guitars (my true focal point) are really quite nice.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:29 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

I will be watching with interest - I've not put mine through as varied selection of music as you have. In addition to lining with felt - I lined everything with felt, including the internal brace, everything. I also 'threw in' the few left over pieces of felt into the box before I screwed in the driver so I do have a little volume stuffing in there but not much.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:09 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Definitely need thicker felt on the back panel, and probably the sides. May cheap out witha bit of poly-fil, justfor fun, and it won't take but a few minutes, as would soldering in the filters.
Old 15th March 2011, 02:11 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Ok, bought some real inductors (mil parts), so my specs are 8.2r, 10w / 4.7uF / .375uH. Is the correct layout for the parts?

If so, then just between the positive terminal and speaker lead?

Finally, what is the intended impact (what spectrum is impacted)?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:43 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

with my onken speakers using fostex drivers I ended up putting the inductor in series between the speaker lead and positive terminal just as you suggest. It works fine.

But with my tube amp, the Martello doesn't need anything to help it. I'm beginning to think that Full Range are better with amplifiers that don't have aggressive damping factors.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:55 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

I have the drivers and I just got the wood from my local CNC shop.
Everything looks great. Now I just need to start spreading the glue.
Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fountek FR88EX.JPG (214.5 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg Martello speaker 1a.jpg (63.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Martello speaker 2a.jpg (47.2 KB, 366 views)
Old 7th April 2011, 04:40 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Looks good!

I suggest you dry fit all the parts to ensure they're all sized properly. The holey brace is one to be careful with - the chances that it's just the right size to butt up against the back of the drivers when they are screwed in (and using a gasket) is low - you will likely want to ajust it. I preferred to undersize the brace a little so there was a gap between it and the driver magnet and then use some padding to fill the gap and provide a tight fit up to the back of the driver.

Also be careful with cut outs for the driver, you need to shape it to allow the driver to fit through with the connecting lugs - which stick out a fair bit. But don't oversize the opening or you won't get an air-tight seal once the driver is installed. Dry fit the drivers and shape things by hand is how I would do it as I'm likely to mess it up easily !
Old 24th April 2011, 04:07 AM   #100
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

I been talking to Bigun in PM's about my own build of 5 pieces of this speaker set. These drivers/enclosure designs sound incredible on my 807 Pentode amp. I dont even feel that it needs the notch filter that people have been designing on this thread at all. Another extremely interesting thing is for such little guys they put out a ton of bass. They are putting my sub to shame. I have difficulty seeing any difference between my current sub turned on and off when it comes to sounds. I don't care for 'boomy' bass i only care about the sound... and these provide!

Probably more so means i need to upgrade my sub now... 95 hz free air resonance of these guys means i should probably go after the 30-120 hz zone and play around with LFE crossover between 95 and 120

Hide this!Advertise here!