Plans for Alfredo Horn from Alf Lepp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2010, 02:05 PM   #11
fito is offline fito  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello Leon,

many thanks for it.
Does anybody has built or heard the Alfredo horn? What is the lowest response frequence? I'm looking for a horn that has deeper bass frequence than my Acousta 115 horns. And the Alfredo horn ist not significantly lager so I dout if it really goes much deeper.

regards
Thomas
Old 12th October 2010, 02:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The Alfredo reaches down to 60Hz, in good quality bass.
I'm redesigning it for a double mouth structure (twice as large!!) for higher spl in the bass.
Will not go deeper!!
You will get deeper bass from the "big fun horn" (corner loading) and the "Mau horn".
"Small horns", like the Alfredo, seldom go deep, use a "high-speed"sub.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:45 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
As promissed, The Alfredo drawing.
Attached is a higher rez + a picture without size. I had found this earlier but didn't post it as i was looking for the one in post#6

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlfredoHorn2colour.jpg (49.5 KB, 628 views)
File Type: gif Alfredo-horn-plan.gif (69.9 KB, 591 views)
Old 12th October 2010, 11:47 PM   #14
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #6

Hi Y'all,

I got the file converted into a pdf, so-even if it is not the initially sought for enclosure-I'll attach it for those interested.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alf Lepp_alf1.pdf (153.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 30th October 2011, 10:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone, I just noticed these posts and that there have been a number of comments about the Alfredo Horn and trying to contact Alf Lepp. I note that they are a year old, so you may not pick this up.

First the bad news, Alf passed away around 5 years ago. He lived a long life and was a brilliant engineer and craftsman. One of the greatest. I had the pleasure of growing up across the street from him and build loudspeakers with him for over 20 years. I have no doubt that Alf would be absolutely thrilled to hear that some of his designs are being discussed long after he was gone.

Now the news about the Alfredo Horns. I don't have any additional plans, however, they are currently sitting slightly wounded in my garage. As tends to happen with Lowther's one of the foam surrounds has decayed and cracked in one place. I can confirm that they average around 96 - 97db @1w/1m and like any other lowther that I have seen measured they were pretty bumpy above 5 kHz. While the measuring system we used wasn't the best below 100Hz, they were pretty useful down to about 50Hz. They used a Lowther PM6A Silver Speech coil unit.

I have attached a photo. Hope it is of interest to you.

Regards

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000438.jpg (52.1 KB, 488 views)
Old 30th October 2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Certainly of interest. I have print-outs of the "wrong" alfredo horn, the one with both front and rear loading and they're about 12 years old. It helped feed my interest in horns. Good to hear some background about the designer.

The "right" alfredo horn looks great. The front is mostly mouth, like it should be. Doesn't look too complicated to build, either.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to hifiguru
Is this the same speaker?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have the rest of the plans...ye part that shows the dimensions of the numbered parts.
Old 12th November 2013, 04:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

If anyone is planning on building this horn the plans posted by Dave (post 13) are very close to scale...enough to build them. I blew up the plans, printed and started measuring the given dimensions. The most variation I could find was 4 mm. Most of the lengths were right on or a mm out.

If anyone out their does find the dimensions please post them.

Also, any info on the commercial rights?

Thanks
Sean
Old 12th November 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithintruth View Post
If anyone is planning on building this horn the plans posted by Dave (post 13) are very close to scale...enough to build them. I blew up the plans, printed and started measuring the given dimensions. The most variation I could find was 4 mm. Most of the lengths were right on or a mm out.
Sean,

I have no more than i have posted already. Someone will need to redraw the plans from the picture, keeping the known dimensions the same and deriving the rest.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!