Dayton 6.5" fullrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dayton PS180-8

Friends

I will get a pair of these Dayton for make a comparation with my old Fosters alnico and my others vintage fulls.
The datasheet of this Dayton have nice curves and many good quality materials are used in your production.
The Neodymium magnet have a big magnetic field for more definition.
When I receive it, I can post here.
My problem is the seller...I only can find in the part express and the Brian do not want ship to Brazil more...

Aldovan

This response is meant to be nothing more than observation but I find all of your statements a bit presumptuous and wholly arrogant. You speak as if you are part of some in the know group that just looks at us full range guys and shakes there head as if we were ugly step children. I for one, know what I am doing and I am a full range designer as well as a multi way guy. I do both. My primary system is a 2.5 way I designed and it sounds amazing. My second and third systems are all full range setups that I designed and they also sound amazing. My shed system is a 3 way setup that just knocks my socks off. I think you tread thin ice walking in to a group of folks that fully understand what they are doing and don't need some down the nose arrogant statements being made in their directions. That being said, you should hang around for a while and learn a little about what we do. You might find that we possess something that you didn't expect.

Tom

All large diameter full range drivers are going to have less than ideal response off axis, even whizzer cone and phase plug equipped models. Most designs show a rising response on axis which when averaged with 15 and 30 degrees off, becomes a fairly flat response. I commend Dayton for at least having the guts to publish off axis charts. I can only say that in my experience, Dayton's measurements are very accurate.

Cone material by itself has little to do with a speakers performance. It's the implementation of the material inot the overall design that matters most. Each material has a characteristic, nothing more.

A full range driver with accurate measurments showing off axis performance and PUBLISHED Klippel tests. Sounds like the dealer is showing the deck here instead of flipping the turn card AFTER you've paid for it......and that's a gamble. As for most of the fullrange summations and designs i've seen posted about, little to none have any measurements to back up the subjective rants that often follow.

Looking in from the multi-way side of things, it often appears that the Fullrange crowd is claiming some kind of 'Magic' in these designs cluded in mystery that must be 'heard' to understand. Why is that? Why can't i and others 'see' these claims in electro-analysis. Is there some secret property these drivers and designs exhibit that can't be measured. Are there Z particles at work here?

No, of course not. Anything shrowded in mystery is usually presented that way as it defies the scientific results and what we physically know about the propogation of sound waves.

To the fullrange guys.....you've been shown a driver with a full measurement analysis instead of smoke and mirrors. Instead of hiding the MoJo of fullrangers behind a blanket of subjective listening properties, make us multi way guys believe!...show us the measurements that these designs are that special. By looking at the Dayton data, there's room for a great design there......as much as ANY of the other, more em.....established fullrange drivers.

As an outsider, the tone of the thread was reminiscent of a playground of neighborhood kids wondering if the new kid should be allowed to play instead of CAN he play. Certainly the Dayton can play, the measurements speak to that just as a major league pitcher's stats speak for his ability.....Unless their's 'magic' rules in fullrange sports?

I'm having trouble with the 8" pdf... what downloads is an empty file...checked it in illustrator.

Attached is the factory FE166En FR (dotted), overlaid the Dayton. Fostex data doesn't look any more smoothed than the Dayton.

dave

Hello to everyone again! Winter means you will see me around again!

My eyes tell me Dave, that these drivers look like they will have a little sizzle that many full rangers are missing. I don't know but I think I may risk a set! I am going to start a design as soon as I get back from the cruise my mother in law is taking me on. (Ugh. Though it probably wont be so bad). If I have the money I will do this thing and let people know what I find relatively quickly). I love winter. I am able to get back on designing and building. There is never enough time in the summer with traveling, work and making art. Oh, and no tenure yet. One day...

I find all of your statements a bit presumptuous and wholly arrogant.

Thanx!:D That's exactly what i intented when composing that bit of free prose. I hope i didn't hurt your feelings.:( Now that you've cleared things up for me, i'll likely sell my vacation home and get a pair of Feastrex and pair it with the most expensive esoteric tube amplifier available. Surely audio Nirvana is not far off now? ..............

mayhem13, you are true to your naughty name. Actually the Feastrex I've heard sound pretty good to me, though whether they are worth the money is an individual decision (I can't afford them).

I did find a pair of (vastly less expensive) AER Mk 1's and they are insane! Not perfect but oh so good! No magic, just really good engineering, materials etc. Another flavor, not what I expected at all. DaveCan, you were right all along!

I just hope the TB 1808 continue to go up in price so i can say i own a $1000 driver.

You know what? I do own $1000 drivers -- DX3's@$1200 a pair, and being Nd, that price won't hold. But they have been in a box since I got the W8-1772's now $642 a pair. And those don't get any service since the Alpair 7's went on line @ $170 a pair. Price is no indicator.

Bob

this thread should stay dead

Bump!
Has anybody built anything with this driver?

Why bother when speakers like this are routinely available for $50 and can be easily paired with a competent tweeter for a robust 2-way... oh, they handle 150W rms as well...

hds-182c.gif

John L.

What were the dimensions of you baffle?
Generally you cant expect much in the bass department from a OB, And the sloping FR and quite closed basket on the speaker mean it wouldn't be my favorite configuration. I have a Visaton /Eminence OB I might like to stick it into for comparison, but a TQWT might be a more interesting proposition.

50 centimeter x 1 meter, do not is big.

Aldovan

>>> Why bother when speakers like this are routinely available for $50 and can be easily paired with a competent tweeter…

Because you get greater efficiency, wider bandwidth and a more cohesive and engaging sound in many instances for less money.

>>> oh, they handle 150W rms as well...

Many of us are running inexpensive T-amps no more than 6 watts and getting room filling sound.

personal preference

>>> Why bother when speakers like this are routinely available for $50 and can be easily paired with a competent tweeter…

Because you get greater efficiency, wider bandwidth and a more cohesive and engaging sound in many instances for less money.

>>> oh, they handle 150W rms as well...

Many of us are running inexpensive T-amps no more than 6 watts and getting room filling sound.

yeah... I used to build BIG folded horns, VOT's, etc. decades ago... they'd fill an auditorium with sound with 10, 20 watts, using 8" wide range drivers (LE8T's, SP8B's, etc.)... but when high quality power amplification got cheap, I switched to multi driver arrays, and have never looked back.

I just don't care for the coloration in all the single driver wide range setups I've heard, (and I've heard alot).

John L.

that's most interesting of all

And here I sit trying to figure out where to go next. I am reasonably sure that the A7.3 will go into that little folded TL with only minor mods. I'm torn between the A10.3 or the A12.3. I'm reasonably confident that the A12 will go into a folded TL that will make a decent sized bookshelf speaker. That would be the A7 TL with guts!

Bob

And here I sit trying to figure out where to go next. I am reasonably sure that the A7.3 will go into that little folded TL with only minor mods. I'm torn between the A10.3 or the A12.3. I'm reasonably confident that the A12 will go into a folded TL that will make a decent sized bookshelf speaker. That would be the A7 TL with guts!

Bob

The issue of varying degrees of lower sensitivity of Mark's drivers (on paper) aside, I think the A12 might sacrifice a bit of something in the midrange compared to the A7 (dare I use the term "magic?). For someone enamored with the arguably ""colored" or overly forward presentation of previous Fostex FE series, I found the A7s took surprisingly little acclimation.

Of course, many of us will also be interested in your listening impressions of the new FF-WK drivers. As the initial stocking levels for several of these models was slim, it could be a while before all interested parties manage to get their hands/ears on a pair.

so yeah, a builder interested in (moderately priced) wide-band drivers is once again in a quandary - but for me a manufacturer who not only continually refines his product design / manufacturing techniques, but actively pursues input from the end users as part of the process , well that's pretty effen rare, and deserves all the support we can muster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.