Dayton 6.5" fullrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.... For someone enamored with the arguably ""colored" or overly forward presentation of previous Fostex FE series, I found the A7s took surprisingly little acclimation.

Going OT a bit farther, builders of multi-way speakers are after a completely different sound that full-rangers. Multi-way builders have a fetish about a dead flat FR. Then they play these speakers in a room with a fair degree of room lift and you get the multi-way sound. Warm, bass heavy and with a receding mid. The overall impression is the speaker is lifeless. I've heard this sound time and again at speaker meets and in my own home. I had a friend over the other day to audition my A7 TL's. He brought a pair of MTM's with Peerless 6.5" poly woofers and a Seas tweet. They had the flat FR sound. My A7's have a slightly exaggerated mid and have "life"! The difference is day and night.

Take to extreme, though, a forward mid leads to fatigue and ear-bleed screeching. This is often associated with lack of proper BSC. "Life" is not a forward mid per se. It is a proper balance of the entire spectrum.

Bob

au contraire

Going OT a bit farther, builders of multi-way speakers are after a completely different sound that full-rangers. Multi-way builders have a fetish about a dead flat FR. Then they play these speakers in a room with a fair degree of room lift and you get the multi-way sound. Warm, bass heavy and with a receding mid. The overall impression is the speaker is lifeless. I've heard this sound time and again at speaker meets and in my own home. I had a friend over the other day to audition my A7 TL's. He brought a pair of MTM's with Peerless 6.5" poly woofers and a Seas tweet. They had the flat FR sound. My A7's have a slightly exaggerated mid and have "life"! The difference is day and night.

Take to extreme, though, a forward mid leads to fatigue and ear-bleed screeching. This is often associated with lack of proper BSC. "Life" is not a forward mid per se. It is a proper balance of the entire spectrum.

Bob

geez... no exaggerations, assumptions, or presumptions stated as fact in this post...

I use a wide range driver in a multiway setup, and no-one has ever characterized the sound of my setup as "lifeless"... to the contrary, most state they've never heard any other setup sound so life-like...

as a matter of fact, when setup to deliver a "flat" response on axis at listener postion, they sound way too brite... so they're playing anything but flat...

but then, seeing as I'm greatly outnumbered here, I'd expect nothing less in a "full range" love-fest forum...:D;)

Cheers...

John L.

John - few (none?) of us engaged in the generally well humored bantering back and forth on these forums have heard your speakers, so of course we can only guess what they might sound like.

I don't think Bob's intention was to state that all multiways must sound as he described, but over the years many of us have certainly heard a large number of commercial and DIY multi-way units that definitely do, or exhibit colorations as unpleasant / fatiguing as any badly implemented full-range.

I too have heard a lot of commercial loudspeakers rated (and priced) quite high that I though had rather recessed midrange. A few that instantly come to mind are Thiel, Wilson, McIntosh, Dynaudio, and Egglestonworks. Don't get me wrong, they all sound great in their own right, but they do posses that recessed midrange to some degree.

Odd, especially considering these are supposed to be "audiophile" grade loudspeakers.

Dead thread revival. Any word on using the PS180 or PS220 in a build yet? I was thinking of going with the PS180 in a Chili Chang design. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I just received a pair of PS220-8 this week for a FAST build. I had it all figured out but of course changed my mind about some of the details. Since it won't have to perform the bass duties the enclosure for it is much simpler and smaller, about 1cuft.

There is a great thread and build over on PE TechTalk for the PS220-8 called The Singularities. It's opening their eyes to the magic of FullRange drivers. They get so frustrated when the magic can't be measured and have to rely on their own opinions and taste. This'll learn'em.:D

Thanks Dave. I'm admittedly a super noob in this arena. Time to bust out my learning skills yet again. But this is fun. I've really been wanting to get into a RLH setup with a 6.5" driver. Big low end extension isn't even a concern due to my DIY powered sub. So I may not even need anything as large as the designs I'm looking at.

Good morning guys!

Anybody does the Singularity project using the PS220-8? I'm waiting for a discount on PE to purchase a pair of them. Please, if somebody build this cabinet inform the real sonic results about the bass extension. We know a lot of the mids and highs of this drivers, but the bass stay a mistery...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.