Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chill-Baffle speaker (L-baffle design)
Chill-Baffle speaker (L-baffle design)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2018, 09:41 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hi. Was the main idea not to have the cavity resonance of a U-frame? Did you try damping the rear of the speaker?
Old 8th February 2018, 04:54 PM   #12
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed. The idea was to limit reflections and resonances while enlarging the effective baffle dimensions and making it assymetric with a symetric appearance. I did not try to damp the rear part of the speaker yet, I did not order material for that yet. But I think I do not really significantly perceive signifant reflections from the wall or backside (though I can only conclude finally after trying it out...)
Old 8th February 2018, 06:59 PM   #13
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

If you are after dipole radiation, the rear shouldn't be damped. Also diffused reflections from the front wall will add to the spaciousness and 3D imagery if it's at least 3 feet away.
Old 8th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #14
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes. it could be that the baffle backside reflections add some spaciousness to the sound. Although stereo placement can be quite pinpoint with the right recordings.

Anyhow, next week I plan to start work on the 2nd incarnation of the Chill baffle speaker. I ordered a nice pair of 15" Pure audio project NEO woofers.
15″ Audiophile Grade Open Baffle Woofers – PureAudioProject

These woofers are quite fast and efficient, so I expect this to be a good match with the Suprovox wide banders. I plan to passively filter the woofer (2nd order LPF around 200 Hz) and add the Supravox widebander unfiltered. If this does not work I can still decide to filter the bottom frequencies of the Supravox, but I would rather not add a capacitor to this driver. Furthermore, I will add equalisation on PC side to make the overall response more flat. Woofer assisted wideband, sounds like a good idea... ;-)

Fedde

Chill-Baffle speaker (L-baffle design)Hide this!Advertise here!