HELP, I need a full ranger that I can hang on the wall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm looking for a full range project (4" driver?) that I can hang on the wall. I'll be adding a sub so I'm not so concerned about lower end. I'll be driving it w/an old B&O ss 55 watt receiver with my mac as the source (I'll be adding a dac because my sound card has taken a crap on me).

It's my office, so the front walls are about 8' away, sides are 5' and back wall is 6'. I want to hang them about 4.5' up. Measurements are from my sitting position.

I've built several sets of speakers and subs, but only 2 full range projects http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/105689-first-set-full-rangers-done.html and a tang band 3" near field set of computer speakers. I really liked the way the fostex design sounded, but they needed to be away from the walls. The tang band speakers sounded good for what they were, but I want something that sounds better. I have absolutely no experience starting a project from scratch.

I'd like to keep the component cost to $300 (or less) not counting the enclosures. I'd love to try the fostex sigma, but...? Or if anyone has old drivers they'd like to get rid of I might be able to give them a good home.

The main goal is to get these things on the wall (and sound great), not in the wall or on stands in front of the wall. Any suggestions or projects would be appreciated.

The Cornu and it's variants get discussed here from time to time.

And Scott has a design for the Fostex FE series resembling his fonkens but in the cornu style: wide and flat.
The one I'm thinking of can hang on the wall, but with any of the Cornu variations, they'll be heavy need to be secured well. And find a nice place for the wire too.

Scott and Dave monitor all the threads here so the picture should turn up if you ask.

Cornu is a proprietary design but there are plans for it in an old issue of Speakerbuilder IIRC.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, ideally you want a low 60s XO point if the sub is sitting on the floor under it, ergo mains with a maximally flat response to the same point, a lot to ask of a 4" in 2pi space without a huge cab.

If you can accept some mains/sub loss of detail through the XO BW, then upping the XO point to ~80 Hz and 2nd order minimum for example gets you a ~0.676 ft^3 vented alignment tuned around 45 Hz for the CSS EL70. Using a ~7/8" dia. vent to allow a baffle thickness vent using ~5/8" thick material construction will have a high vent mach, but damping it will 'kill two birds with one stone' by both dropping it to inaudible levels and get the desired maximally flat response required for the mentioned XO, so browsing the various small Fonken designs to see what might work seems as good a place as any to start.

Anyway, lots of ways to approach this depending on the acceptable trade-offs.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And Scott has a design for the Fostex FE series resembling his fonkens but in the cornu style: wide and flat.

And Dave has a design for the Fostex FE series resembling his fonkens but in the cornu style: wide and flat.

dave

Attachments

• wallFonken.gif
    wallFonken.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 154
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.