Dayton DTA-1 amp + Dayton PA130 5" driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton DTA-1 amp + Dayton PA130 5" driver

Just got a DTA-1 from PE and it looks good to me! It's physically different from the original Sonic Impact because it's black in color but also the plastic is coated with a rubbery coating that makes it feel more substantial than just slippery, smooth plastic. It looks like Darth Vader's T-amp... also have the more powerful DTA-100 on order... the packing slip says back ordered for 73 days. I understand they have some quality issues (things rattled inside and volume control balance between left and right channels). I hope this is all corrected by the time i get mine!

The DTA-1 is for my younger son who is nearly 11 years old and wants a 'real' stereo, not just an iPod dock. The more powerful amp is for daddy! I've been listening to a mammoth Onkyo receiver for over a year and really feel the need to take this giant paperweight off my cabinet. Need to find another home for the Onkyo tho... it's cool... but seeing it connected to my iTouch or Droid streaming Pandora just seems wasteful.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/onkyo.htm

The Dayton 5" full range driver is also on back order - 16 days. I hope to build something using these drivers in hopes of finding something really inexpensive (that sounds decent) to mate with the DTA-1 for my son.

Zilla
Old 21st September 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does the DTA-1 use the same PCB as the Sonic Impact unit? Ive been wanting to get a DTA-1, so I can modify it and put it in a nice enclosure. I have a wooden tea box that looks to be the perfect size to fit the PCB.
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Follow this thread...

Dayton introduces a Sonic Impact lookalike

Seems it's not exactly the same inside but accepts the same mods as the original Sonic Impact amp.

I connected mine last night and really LOVE this amp! With bookshelf speakers that don't reach too deeply into the bass this amp sounds very clear, detailed and three dimensional. I listened to music until around midnight while working late. Wanted to stay later and listen some more. I like the way it looks but mounting it in a neat tea box sounds like a fun idea too... and allows for the upgrade while you're at it.

Zilla
Old 30th July 2011, 12:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default the pa130 dayton is a real underdog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Just got a DTA-1 from PE and it looks good to me! It's physically different from the original Sonic Impact because it's black in color but also the plastic is coated with a rubbery coating that makes it feel more substantial than just slippery, smooth plastic. It looks like Darth Vader's T-amp... also have the more powerful DTA-100 on order... the packing slip says back ordered for 73 days. I understand they have some quality issues (things rattled inside and volume control balance between left and right channels). I hope this is all corrected by the time i get mine!

The DTA-1 is for my younger son who is nearly 11 years old and wants a 'real' stereo, not just an iPod dock. The more powerful amp is for daddy! I've been listening to a mammoth Onkyo receiver for over a year and really feel the need to take this giant paperweight off my cabinet. Need to find another home for the Onkyo tho... it's cool... but seeing it connected to my iTouch or Droid streaming Pandora just seems wasteful.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/onkyo.htm

The Dayton 5" full range driver is also on back order - 16 days. I hope to build something using these drivers in hopes of finding something really inexpensive (that sounds decent) to mate with the DTA-1 for my son.

Zilla
Hello Zilla that dayton 5" you have mentioned we put in to our BH% backloaded horns and it is ear-opening and a full range sound to be appreciated! Bushhorns Home
Old 30th July 2011, 05:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bush, yup that little Dayton sounds really nice in a back horn. I'm not surprised about your results. I have them in BIBs and they sound great. Not as delicate or nuanced as the Fostex 127e but overall i think they rock. In a small ported box they suck... back horns turn them into something different entirely. So strange. I nearly just threw them away.
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bush, where are you crossing the tweeter with the little dayton 5"?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Bush, where are you crossing the tweeter with the little dayton 5"?
We use a 3.3uF in reverse polarity. Thats about 5500Hz. The Dayton runs as the full- range, It would do without the Tweeter just fine, but it gives it a nice crispness tweeter goes to 22K.
Old 5th August 2011, 03:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Your speakers look great. Thanks for sharing.
Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!