Computer speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

Sorry for bugging you again, I promise this will be last for driver selection for this app:).

Among the list looks like EL70 is the best so far. If I can put in more money, is an alpair 7 worth an upgrade for this application. Its almost double the price and would hit me pretty hard in terms of finances, but I dont do these things everyday, and these speakers I am making will last me a good few years atleast. I want a good sounding, non-fatiguing system as I spend a lot of time on my computer, and want to get the best possible sound quality (good resolution, neutral to warm tube like sound).

Once I have more money, I will also upgrade from topping tp20 to something better, preferably diy like gainclone or firstpass, but thats some time away.I will not be using mp3s etc, the sources will be flacs or cds. This is probably going to be my main music system, till I can replace my ageing B&W 602s2 in my main system. Even then, I dont get to listen to much music on the main system as either the kids are watching cartoons or wifey is watching soaps:mad:

thanx a lot for all the support.

Hi,

From what I can tell for nearfield the Allpair 7 would not be a real upgrade,
the tweeter kit and parts looks a no brainer from a sensible point of view.

rgds, sreten.

Given the price constraint, I take it you will not use a subwoofer? Or do you intend to use that 15" monster?

I already got parts for a sub. jack hidley's foster amp and tang band w8-1363sb, on sale at PE for 60$.

thanx for all the help guys, looks like the recommendation is to go for css el70 for this app. will place an order this evening.:)

Finally i placed an order and ended up placing an order for alpair 7. My friend will bring these to me around christmas time. I decided for this thinking that when I upgrade my main system with something like alpair 12, then I can use these for center channel or rears. It will also keep upgraditis at bay for sometime:)

Any recommended designs for alpair 7. My size restrictions are wxhxd - 9x10.5x9". If no good designs are possible in this size, then I can increase the height, but I would prefer not to do that as in that case I will need to remove a couple of shelves from my desk. Bass is not a concern as I will have a sub.

I am posting a pic of my computer desk. sorry about the crappy quality mobile picture. The speakers will come where the current speakers are.

Attachments

• Image0302.jpg
    Image0302.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 263
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
anything a little smaller than that? specially height.

The boxes i presented are based on 9 litre internal volume and i feel the optimum for a vented enclosure. My feeling is that if you need less volume you go sealed. Sims attached.

You have 9.1 litres of gross volume (assumming 15mm box walls), and any volume for ports, back of driver, and braces has to come out of that volume.

Do the dimensions given allow for space between the box and the shelf unit?

For more extended bass in a smaller cabinet the CHR70.2 is better suited.

dave

Attachments

• Sealed-Alpair7.gif
    Sealed-Alpair7.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 197
The boxes i presented are based on 9 litre internal volume and i feel the optimum for a vented enclosure. My feeling is that if you need less volume you go sealed. Sims attached.

You have 9.1 litres of gross volume (assumming 15mm box walls), and any volume for ports, back of driver, and braces has to come out of that volume.

Do the dimensions given allow for space between the box and the shelf unit?

For more extended bass in a smaller cabinet the CHR70.2 is better suited.

dave

Sealed is ok with me. can i still cross the sub at 80hz? i can go higher too, say at 120. does localization become an issue at 120?

Yes, I have allowed for some space between the speakers and the shelf. the actual space available is h - 11.25" and w - 10.5. Back side is open, so depth is not an issue. I have left out more space in width in case i need to toe in the speakers. If in the final design, internal volume is the only criteria, then I would prefer to restrict the width to some 7-8" to leave more space for width. WAF in action here:)

I have already ordered the alpair 7. Also, since there will be a sub, no problems with the bass.

out of the two, I would prefer the 6.93 ltr of course, if I can fit it in the area.
If I use 15mm double baffle, how do I figure out the driver displacement? Does it make sense to go for a double baffle in such a small speaker? With single baffle I would probably have to surface mount the speaker.

Last edited:
when I try the simulation in winisd with sealed 6.73 litres, it exceeds the excursion limits with 20w at 90hz, 12w at 65hz. Am I doing something wrong here. Do I need to highpass the speakers. I will be using it with a sub with a crossover, but if I connect just the speakers and without the soundcard highpass, will it go bust.

I am currently planning to use topping tp20mk2 with these speakers, it doesnt do all that well with 4 ohm speakers and prefers 8 ohm speakers. Will adding some simple circuit (saw somewhere that a resistor might help) to the speakers help in increasing the impedence. will a 10w resistor be good enough or do I need to go for a higher value. Any negatives of this approach?

I am currently planning to use topping tp20mk2 with these speakers, it doesnt do all that well with 4 ohm speakers and prefers 8 ohm speakers. Will adding some simple circuit (saw somewhere that a resistor might help) to the speakers help in increasing the impedence. will a 10w resistor be good enough or do I need to go for a higher value. Any negatives of this approach?

I'm pretty sure that the tp20 will actually work best into 4 Ohm - unless it's a very very unusual TA2020 amplifier!

i already ordered the overnight sensations as well as alpair 7, but thanx for the confirmation:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.