First timer - desperately confused with the options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All. I am very tempted to build a full-range speaker enclosure but I am finding all the options rather overwhelming... Based on initial reading:

1) Speaker choice? I've been thinking a Fostex FE206en...the Fostex 208 Sigmas also look interesting but appear to be a lot more expensive than the 206. Am I better off staying with the 206s?

2) The enclosure options are making my head spin! Characteristics I'd be looking for:
- I'd be looking for something that offers decent bass. I don't have good high frequency hearing so I am not overly concerned with upper-range frequencies.
- Easy to build?
- Versatile: I have an eclectic music taste - ideally looking for something that could work for Bach to James Brown to Black Sabbath to Hip Hop.
- Medium sized room - about 16'x16' with 8' high ceilings.

3) The intent is to feed the speakers with a low-wattage (3.5w) tube amplifier.

My general dilemma is that there are so many different options. Would appreciate it if someone can help me get focused into the right direction.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FE206 is a good starter choice.

Having too many choices is way better than too few :) That's what it was like when the FR big hit me.

Start a list of potential enclosures and then start eliminating them. They really want a horn. Let me get you started:

RonHorn Dallas II
Spawn Sachiko (small room probably scratches this one)
BIB
Metronome

the new Woden V-Series
HM probably has some...

dave

Are you looking to build your final, ultimate speakers right off? Or is this the start of a hobby?

How good is your woodworking?

What tools do you have access to?

How important is appearance vs. sound quality?

With that level of power, you are probably looking for >95 dB efficient. The BiB (Bigger is better) is known for good bass, easy to build and highly efficient with the right driver. They are large, but good bass with high efficiency generally demands a large box.

platplaas

Hello,
may be this could be a solution:

Sats with sub for small rooms
Trumpet-Sat
Schalmei-Sat
sub
alphorn

or double horns like
Saxophon and
RDH20
extrem good Impedanz for Tubes.

surf my HP

oh thanks Planet10

Attachments

• alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,231
Last edited:
Thanks for input

Hi Everyone, thanks for the input.

My carpentry skills aren't the greatest and I don't have much equipment, so the simpler the better.

- The Dallas 2 looks difficult to build.
- The Sachiko looks nice but possibly expensive and a labour of love? (Plus if it doesn't work well outside of big spaces then probably not worth it?)
- I like the simplicity of the BIB cabinets and that they appear to have good bass.
- The metronomes look nice and easy to build, but bass is weak?
- Can't get much info about the Woden.

So far it looks like the BIB boxes are the best bet!? The main challenge being size...

Any recommendations for where to find the best BIB plans? Or can I just use the BIB calculator spreadsheets to figure it out for myself?

Thanks.

Some nagging questions:

1) Should I consider the FE 166 as well, or am I better off sticking with the 206? I'm not sure what the trade-offs are between the two speakers. I'm assuming the 206 has better bass.

2) Are Fostex's website box plans any good? Or am I better off sticking with a home designed BIB?

a few quick thoughts:

It's hard to get the fullest level of wide-band performance and finesse from drivers such as 126/166/206 / AudioNirvana / Lowther, etc., without enclosures as elaborate as any of the numerous BLH / Olsen style manifold designs mentioned yet or to follow, and the accompanying build complexity

Math for BIB has already been done for many popular drivers (see Jeff's site for dimensions and build suggestions)

Bigger Is Better 'BIB' Cabinet Dimensions - ZillaSpeak

much the same for Metronome:

The Metronome

Some of the Fostex larger BLH designs work quite well enough, but are at least as time consuming a build as any others under consideration. The simpler sealed/BR or "hybrid" enclosures, not so much performance-wise.

Woden designs continue to evolve, and as you might imagine, one guy can only accomplish so much. Being more fastidious and particular about optimizing enclosures to driver T/S parameters than many of us, (speak for yurself, Chris ;)) the recent revamping of Fostex line has rendered some of his designs "obsolete", while requiring revisiting / remodeling of others.

edit:

for a room your size, I'd be surprised if the FE166 didn't work quite well enough

There will of course be those who opine that no single driver/FR system can do it all (particularly HT or metal, etc.) and as my listening habits have "matured", I'm not one to argue that point. But it's pretty easy to supplement any of these FR speakers with as many powered woofers as needed.

Last edited:
Materials and Joints

I'd like to start building the cabinet...what is recommended for:

1) Materials - MDF vs. PLywood?
2) Thickness - 19mm?
3) What is the best way to build the joints? Should I caulk the joints? Use adhesive on the joints or fasteners like nails or screws?
4) What to place under the cabinet? Spikes?
5) Any recommended wires and connection parts to use?
6) What to use as insulation / damping materials?

Thanks!

I'd like to start building the cabinet...what is recommended for:

2) Thickness - 19mm?
3) What is the best way to build the joints? Should I caulk the joints? Use adhesive on the joints or fasteners like nails or screws?

Thanks!

amazing, not a single contentious item on the list ;)

2) Thickness - 19mm?

LOL Chrisb!

1) plywood will sound better
2) if 19mm is .75" then that's great - but i like to double up the front and back
3) i use butt joints, glue and screw but i am a hack carpenter
4) i nailed little metal furniture feet to mine
5) some here will say CAT 5 (which i used in mine) but i think 16g wire is fine too
6) i used acousta stuff

If you put spikes on the bottom of your BIBs you may scratch up your floor when moving them. Sometimes i think about adding handles on the sides to help move them. When i do move them, i hug them close and hump them around into position.

Enjoy them!
Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.