First timer - desperately confused with the options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW, my own preferences:

1) Need I say it? Baltic birch (a bit tricky for designs over 60" tall)

2) Most of the cabinets I'm building include sufficient bracing for 15mm BB to work fine, and many of the smaller drivers have shallow enough mounting depths to make front baffles thicker than 18-19mm almost more trouble than they're worth.

3) Generally, simple butts, but occasionally rabbeted joints, and liberal use of air powered brad nailer. If the enclosure never makes it past failed proof of concept, fine; but if worthy of permanent placement in rotation of personal collection or destined for resale, it's only a few more hours for some bondo & sanding / veneering/ finishing.

4) After seriously damaging hardwood, plush and tufted loop carpeting, I've stopped using any type of spikes altogether. Instead, I use the little PSA felt pad furniture gliders; directly on hardwood/vinyl/laminate flooring, and with the addition of a small slab of 30mm thick granite/quartz-stone from countertop offcuts. I recently bought a little diamond wet saw that can easily cut up to 1 1/2" concrete pavers.

5) For my own use, CAT5 (single strand per terminal for most FR / single driver systems). After a few very expensive (for me) spins on the carousel, I simply can't get excited about jumping on the which wire is "better?" ride. I mean honestly, the sales tax on a complete multi-component loom of some of this stuff is more than my entire current audio and video system are worth.

6) Thanks to Bob Reimer for discovering for us the Ultratouch 1/2" (recycled denim fabric) felting with bonded backer. An absolute dream to work with -great for internal panel/wall damping; when necessary, BAF / Acoustistuff for internal fill.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback.

Regarding Baltic Birch - I can only get it locally in 60" x 60" sizes, which would be too short for the height of the cabinet. Is there another recommended species of plywood that comes in more conventional sizes?

yeah, that's the rub with the BB, the comparable quality material in more conventional sheet size of 4x8ft generally goes by the trade name "Euro-ply", "ApplePly" or even "marine grade"

by all means if budget permits, feel free to play with laminated bamboo sheet goods, but whatever you do, avoid the Chinese import multiply veneer core plywoods for speaker boxes :soapbox: (this is not from idle conjecture)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can get 4x8s of the types Chris mentioned. ~2x as expensive as BB (but better external veneers usually) and 3-4th as expensive as bamboo.

Stranded bamboo ply is a fantastic material for speakers.

dave

Attachments

• dMar-Ken-caramel-bamboo.jpg
    dMar-Ken-caramel-bamboo.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,200
You can get 4x8s of the types Chris mentioned. ~2x as expensive as BB (but better external veneers usually) and 3-4th as expensive as bamboo.

Stranded bamboo ply is a fantastic material for speakers.

dave

just a pita to work with, particularly when grain matching the more highly figured Plyboo Neopolitan pattern (photo, Dave?)

(cabinets shown are for Bud Purvine's Alpair 7s the more "common" Caramelized finish)

Last edited:
Bamboo is a bit pricey, and Baltic Birch is too small. Does this mean I am stuck with MDF?

please, no :) :h_ache: :2c: even particle board aka K3/ chipboard (not flake-board or OSB) would sound better ('xcuse me while I grab my kevlar vest)

What would happen to the sound if I reduced the box height to 60" to work with Baltic Birch? (And therefore reduced the line length.)

If we're still talking about the BIB, one of the reasons for its popularity with DIYers is the simplicity of build derived from the single fold. While I'm sure it would be possible to reduce the overall height to 60" and retain the overall line length, the complexity would increase, and the terminus might need to reconfigured to load to floor for the required boundary reinforcement. There is at least one design for an Inverted BIB, but AFAIK it was intended for smaller drivers and still had only a single internal fold.

I see that there are quite a few Canadians here - are there any online canadian stores that sell Fostex drivers?

Related question: If buying from Madisound in the US - I see that the Fostex 207 speakers are on sale (presumably because these are now an old model) should I consider these or just stick with the new FE206en?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I sell Fostex -- but all tweaked. Solen sells Fostex, but usually Madisound is less expensive. I get my drivers from them.

As to FE206En vrs FE207, depends on what enclosure you want to build. FE206En really wants a horn. A BIB stradles the divide and will work with either. 206 has better HF extension giving it an edge.

dave

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.