Another vintage Philips FR joins my slowly growing stable: AD7060/M8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I grabbed a super cheesy pair of Noresco 511 bookshelves at the thrift for almost nothing, not even knowing what driver hid behind the non-removable grille: but I knew it was a single 6 incher, from feeling the cutout.

As I suspected, a Philips fullrange, model AD7060/M8. Ceramic magnet, whizzer cone. Otherwise similar-looking to the older quad of AD2700 I got a while ago: same basket, same cone and surround but different magnet, whizzer a bit different, dustcap is not the same as well. Hope their Qts turns out to be a bit lower than the 2700's 0.9 that kind of limits their applications.

Here are some pics:

AD7060_a.JPG

AD7060_b.JPG

AD7060_c.JPG

Will run some test to get T/S parameters and post back here.

az

Last edited:
I finally got around to measuring the AD7060's parameters, here it is for reference:

Philips AD7060/M8 T/S parameters (average of two units w/ very little deviation)

Znom: 8 ohm
Re: 7.85 ohm
Fs: 46Hz
Qms: 3.36
Qes: 0.875
Qts: 0.694
Vas: 46.1 liters
Sd: ~133cc
SPL: ~89dB/W/m

Played around a bit in WinISD and they seem like they would be happy both in sealed and BR enclosures, with a slight hump in the bass. They could do OB as well, without expecting foundation-shaking bass. Might also be interesting in a TL.

IG

Turns out an error slipped in the previously calculated parameters, here is a revised version.

Znom: 8 ohm
Re: 7.7 ohm
Fs: 44Hz
Qms: 3.01
Qes: 0.62
Qts: 0.51
Vas: 50 liters
Sd: ~133sq.cm
SPL: ~90.5dB/W/m

I tried the drivers in ~20"x30" foam open baffles, placed on the floor, drivers in the center, angled upwards a bit with no toe-in, so as to listen to them a bit off-axis. They sound pretty darn good! I was surprised actually. The 4 AD2700's I got a while ago sound kinda tinny and canned-up, but these have none of that honk I dislike and, with simulated BSC on the EQ, had pretty decent bass for such small OB's. The highs do roll-off at some point, but they are not fatiguing in nature and quite mellow. A super-tweeter could be added, but one could live without it as well. I might have to build something more serious with these!

IG

I decided to build some aperiodic boxes for these drivers. I know there is no real advantage performance-wise to aperiodic boxes versus acoustic suspension; all it should do is allow better performance out of a smaller (non-ideal) box. In essence it helps out a compromised design.

I plan to build an acoustic suspension of smaller volume and gradually drill holes in the back, fill them with foam or cut a slot, glue a woof piece over it insid the enlosure, then cover it with fiberglass insulation ala Dynaco, and drill holes under it. I would both listen subjectively and test the system's LF impedance after each hole until I get it back down to a Qtc ~ 0.7 and/or like how it sounds.

The question is, how much can I expect to get away with, compromise-wise? For a Qtc of 0.7, I would be required to build a 57L enclosure. I currently plan on a 28.4L enclosure, which will rise Qtc to ~0.84. It will be stuffed, somewhat reducing this figure. I think this is a sensible enough plan. Any opinions?

Thanks,

IG

Last edited:
Hi IG,

this is a good small driver, much better than some modern.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I use this speaker onetime in a bowl (not so good) and first time in Back vented special case.

Mine´s a little bit different, called AD 7061/M4 in 4 ohm.

I have used this with an old Tuberadio with Loudness.

Also, in this dimension there´s a chassis, nearly look similar basket and paper, with Alnico-Magnet. Don´t know the number.
I think it´s AD3700, built in my Speaker for kitchenradio.

814_20_342731.jpg

814_20_342732.jpg

nice greatings, Hatti

Cool! Nice to see others are finding/using the same driver!

My pair ended-up in an aperiodic box, where it performs decently, depdending on source material. It has now been superceded on practically every level by my Karlson kouplers with Philips AD9710 and Richard Allan CG10T. I could see the AD7060 in a K8-size koupler.

Thanks for your input!

IG

Hi CLS,

I agree there are good speakers in the past and now. But not the A10.

yes, all this 3 Speakers are much better than the A10! You can use the old one without any filter and they are louder than the A10, by the same power you put in. I test this 4 Speakers in a bowl l

d=37,5cm, V=ca.27 Liter
HR= d: 4,3cm long: 5,5cm
42,5Hz Helmholtz resonator

Chassis: Philips 7061

The A10 is realy not my way! And I can´t believe, why so many people love this.

This is A10 reality: (my 45 years old Ear is messurement):D
A10 in the bowl:
20Hz Membran moves, no sound
30Hz something, very quit
40Hz powerfull, but less than 1000Hz
50Hz a little bit louder, maybe same
60Hz same as 50
100Hz more
125Hz same as 60
250Hz little bit more
400Hz little bit more
800 Hz more
1000 Hz same
1250 Hz same
2500 terrible loud (you need a filter!)
3150 same
4000 getting less
5000 same as 4000
6000 getting less
7000 terrible loud (you need a filter!)
8000 very silence
9000 a little bit louder
10000 and follows: get less
up to 15000 my Ears close. :scratch:

You can compare this with the real offer. Test this yourself or don´t waste your time using an A10...;)

Nice greatings, Hatti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.