Small regal horn any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've but all given up on the FE83En, but will certainly revive my interest if you have luck building a small horn with the current production version and achieve good results. But looking at the freq. response, it's going to need huge amounts of 'horn gain' to achieve any bass and I just don't know enough about horns to see how this can be done with a smallish enclosure. By 50Hz the driver is 20dB down, at 70Hz about 18dB down - c.f. mid range.

Another one , found in my digital library.

Attachments

• fe83e-1.gif
    fe83e-1.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 390
The design is called :" T150 " , supposed to be for the FE83 (older then FE83e)
Try Google "FE83e jp" pictures, you find a lot.
The Japanese love those little drivers and have alotof designs for them.
For the sound , I don;t know ; the CC is a bit bigger then my design, line lenght and the rest is about the same.
Most of the time the CC is chosen too big, and is reduced later to adjust the transition.
Scott can explain this better then I can, my English is not sufficient .

IINM, the BK101 in Dave's workshop is running a pair of tweaked out vintage "FE103A" alnico Foster drivers

Re the Fostex hybrid - in short not my personal favorite of the half dozen or so designs in which I've heard the FE126E/n / EN

FTWGAD, I'd slightly revise my previous ranking of enclosures in which I've enjoyed this driver (at least partially influenced by ease of build) :

Woden Maeshowe (sorry Scott, it's just so good)
Ron Clarke A126
FH3
Horneshoppe / BH MkI (easily modified for larger driver than the original 3") this is also known as stirring the pot
Woden proprietary design for Cardersound: "Nina" *
Saburo

Fostex Hybrid

* Products

If you're really cramped for space and don't already have the drivers in hand/ on order or materials pre-cut, there are probably numerous other combinations that would be more well balanced and satisfying.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.