Voigt Pipe for TB W8-1808 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2010, 07:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Voigt Pipe for TB W8-1808

I have been enjoying the TB 1808 on open baffle for several months but wanted to do something else on open baffle and maybe put these drivers into Voigt Pipes similar to what Lowther does.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-894s.pdf

I like the dimensions of this cabinet:

FredT300B's Photos : Popular Photos : These are the plans for a pair of Voigt pipes built by Herbert Jeschke, taken from the single driver website at http://www.melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ4.html The Voigt Pipe is a Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe enclosure, w

I don't know how to design a pipe like this (only BIBs, ported, OB and sealed boxes for me) and was curious how to do it. I wanted to make sure the performance will be optimal before cutting wood. Can someone help me with these dims and port opening please? I prefer a square port like in the drawing. But really, i'd like to be able to sim this cabinet on my own. I built the straight pipe (brines) years ago and my son wants them in his bedroom bc he likes the look (they don't have drivers in them at the moment tho they used to have RS 1354 and then Fostex 127e... and may end up in his room with Fostex 168s old style with wizzer... lucky kid!).

I think the 1808 will work really well all by itself in this type of cabinet with out bass or treble support.

TIA,
Zilla
Old 7th September 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm no help with your question, but wondering if you've been using the 1808s with a Zobel network or just "naked"? I'm still torn between using mine in some sealed cabs vs. open baffle (with some bass augmentation in both cases).
Old 7th September 2010, 09:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They'll work Jeff, but they'll need a relatively big box to do so given the middling Q & Vas. How large a cabinet are you willing to go to?
Old 7th September 2010, 10:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I have been enjoying the TB 1808 on open baffle for several months but wanted to do something else on open baffle and maybe put these drivers into Voigt Pipes similar to what Lowther does.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-894s.pdf

I like the dimensions of this cabinet:

FredT300B's Photos : Popular Photos : These are the plans for a pair of Voigt pipes built by Herbert Jeschke, taken from the single driver website at http://www.melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ4.html The Voigt Pipe is a Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe enclosure, w
I hate to burst your bubble, but 1) the Lowther Club of Norway pipe is a God awful design, even for the PM6C that it was designed for and 2) the 1808 has exactly the wrong parameters to even semi-work in that cab. Model this combo and see what I mean.

Bob
Old 7th September 2010, 10:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Agreed, although if we ignore that particular box & just use Voigt Pipe as another term for mass-loaded conical horn, then they should do OK in a (large) cabinet of the general MLCH type.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 7th September 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 8th September 2010, 01:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

>>> 1) the Lowther Club of Norway pipe is a God awful design, even for the PM6C that it was designed for and 2) the 1808 has exactly the wrong parameters to even semi-work in that cab.

>>> Agreed...

Killjoys!

Yes it models big BIBs. Thanks for the insight.

Godzilla
Old 8th September 2010, 02:56 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Agreed, although if we ignore that particular box & just use Voigt Pipe as another term for mass-loaded conical horn, then they should do OK in a (large) cabinet of the general MLCH type.
Yeah, we had discussed doing a SS for this along time ago, but there didn't seem to be any interest in it. Regardless, I dug out my old pre-T/S pipe horn designer and mixed n' matched with the BIB one to generate a classic alignment like shown in Thuras's patent and a higher tuned one to get a bit of mid-bass 'slam' out of a typical FR driver, though of course at the expense of LF extension.

Still got to try it with a variety of drivers to make sure it's flexible enough and clean it up, so let me know if there's enough interest before I spend any more time on it. Here's the 1808's two in the same 72" i.d. high, ~9.66 ft^3 net Vb except the higher tuning uses the Voigt Pipe Sm:Av ratio and the lower tuned is my old one (0.25 lbs/ft^3 stuffing density):

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif TB W8-1808 Voigt Pipe variant - high_low tunings.gif (25.3 KB, 332 views)
Old 8th September 2010, 03:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM, i will be noodling around with that the next few days... seems like a big cab.
Old 8th September 2010, 08:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah, pity that SS never got any further. I think there'll be interest Greg. I've done a very limited one, but it doesn't give much tuning leeway -yours sounds like being a whole lot better.
Old 8th September 2010, 06:38 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

IINM the Norway Club "Voigt pipe" was an inspiration for one of Terry Cain's early designs that with some brilliant revisions and TC's superlative craftsmanship evolved into the Abbey

I heard these and the first pair of BIB at VSAC2001 - wow! almost a decade ago

Single Driver Website

Hide this!Advertise here!