Tang Band W5-1880

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't say that, however I did imply that I have reservations about that driver. It appears to be a relatively deep cone profile, so in combination with that big roll surround off axis performance isn't likely to be great. And I hate those Micky Mouse neodymium motors; there is absolutely no need to employ them other than for the sake of fashion. Still, YMMV as always.

I always respect Scottmoose's opinion and appreciate his comments, but i never heard a TB driver i did not enjoy. I own the 315, 319, 3" titanium, 4" bamboo and the 8" 1808... love them all. I'd buy the w5-1880 sight unseen and figure an appropriate box for it. TB offers a different option to Fostex... less efficient, less forward sound but with that crossoverless quality many of us have gotten used to. I enjoy my Fostex too, but sometimes after listening to the 127e for a while the TB bamboo's sound really smooth. I have them in adjoining rooms... different flavors of yummy.

And there you have it -different strokes for different folks. I've heard several good TB units, and several duff ones -no manufacturer ever gets it right all the time, especially if they have a wide range of units. I don't like this thing for a mixture of technical reasons & personal taste, but I dare say most of the people who buy it will like it.

to revive an old thread........ooer

The 5" has an spl: 88 db and Fs: 45hz. The 4" has an spl: 87 db with an Fs: 55hz. Both are a bit on the pricey side but they're interesting drivers. I agree that Tang Band makes a smooth sounding driver (at least the drivers I've listened to).

both of these drivers were pretty much unknown to me until a week ago, and whilst i seem to be slow on the uptake, they look very favourable to me.

If the FR plot can be believed, and isnt smoothed too much, they appear very good, and with an unbiased response(no large BW upper gain), should sound very natural. Many other FR drivers cannot compete in this respect, that I at least have any experience or knowledge of (by no means exhaustively). The only others i would say DO are a couple of the MarkAudio drivers, although they may be better (or just different) due to the price comparison. the tangbands : w5-1880 and w5-16** both look almost a little unbeliveably nice and flat, on axis at least, and very good value considering.

I get what scott says about the deep cone, and im not too sure about the wierd(but kinda cool) looking, phaseplug(?), but the efficiency of either driver is good, maybe not 90+ territory, but certainly nothing to complain about, if the FR plot is an honest one. id honestly take a higher Fs and lose some bass response on OTHER drivers, if the FRplot looks nice or relatively easily tamed. Granted the quality of this information is limited. If i had a 2W classA valve amp, then id go for fostex, tho id be sorely tempted to put a notch in, on at least some of their drivers. MA id need nothing, save maybe a choke to tame the top end, if it was even needed. the tangbands are the same, to me, i doubt id use anything to get a pretty respectably flat response. This is why i like these drivers :D

Last edited:
All this theoretical meaningless blah blah blah...
Did you listened to it? No? So what are you talking about? Oh the cone is blah blah blah...
TB speakers sound much better than predicted. The great german DIY LS guru Udo Wohlgemuth says that some people in his shop could not hear a significant difference between a highly praised 3-way Seas high-end speaker for €3000 and a TB fullrange for €25 per side. For me the TB W5 looks nearly perfect on paper so by experience it will sound quiet amazing - at least lightyears better than Fostex or Lowther.

All this theoretical meaningless blah blah blah...
Did you listened to it? No? So what are you talking about? Oh the cone is blah blah blah...
TB speakers sound much better than predicted. The great german DIY LS guru Udo Wohlgemuth says that some people in his shop could not hear a significant difference between a highly praised 3-way Seas high-end speaker for €3000 and a TB fullrange for €25 per side. For me the TB W5 looks nearly perfect on paper so by experience it will sound quiet amazing - at least lightyears better than Fostex or Lowther.

oh i agree. in terms of uncoloured unbiased freq resp the TB AND mark audio are just miles better than fostex/lowther, but in terms of mms the TBs give something small away in ultimate resolution.

Or...

Hi

I am thinking of trying the new Tang Band W5-1880,
http://oaudio.de/media/products/1041d2f3c5caee4af74.pdf

I am thinking of a using it in a floorstanding loudspeaker. Would a MLTL like Bob Brines' be the way to go?

Brgds,
Brian

Greetings!

With the 88db sensitivity, it would be a prime candidate for pairing with a single 15in woofer in Open Baffle configuration. No worries of needing two 15's per speaker.

later,
G

>>> at least lightyears better than Fostex or Lowther.

Well, different for sure but not light years better imo... i think TB offers a nice alternative to Fostex and enjoy owning both. I can easily understand why one person would prefer one over the other. Different flavors of yummy.

>>> No worries of needing two 15's per speaker...

I have one 15 per speaker and think it's very adequate for my listening room... especially considering that many speakers are using 8" and 10" drivers for bass duties. I can only imagine how awesome two 15s per side could sound.

Just want to chime in on the W5-1880.

They sound nice, off axis response is good, I really liked them.

I have no explanation for it, but I actually ended up living with the W4-655SH (bought 8) for longer than the W5-1880 which I sold after 2 months or so. I think maybe I do not like drivers with neo magnets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.