Curvy Chang - Which speakers ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2010, 07:44 PM   #21
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
While it does roll off above ~12KHz, esp. off axis, that's not necessarily such a bad thing as it keeps things smooth over extended periods, & it does still make 20KHz on-axis at about -6dB, give or take. If you want that extra HF energy, then yes, adding a supertweeter is beneficial, but it's certainly far from being a requirement, period.
I found it quite instructive to go and listen to some test tones, even compromized tones from the internet. I can't even hear 15kHz at my age and 12kHz is 'right up there' to my ears. Perhaps for some of us, it really is good advice not to worry about a roll-off at 12kHz !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th September 2010, 08:17 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the thorough replies. Does keeping to the fostex line help sound quality overall , i mean , is FT17H the best fostex tweeter for the money, the best tweeter to pair up with fe207e for the money , or simply the best tweeter the money ? Keeping the brand isn't important for me , just the end result of the whole package.

Roland.
Old 10th September 2010, 08:28 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

You'll struggle to get anything 'better' for the money, & it does work well with their wide-band units, as you'd expect.

Actually, the FT17H is a bit of a sleeper -it's a very nice little unit indeed & providing its not crossed in too low, beats a lot of rather pricer tweeters.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:34 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you can find them (i have a drawer with a half-dozen spare) the Foster-made tweeter in the Radio Shack add-on tweeter pod is quite good -- i like it better than FT17 but not as nice as FT96 (not that you notice a whole lot of difference with an XO >12k).

dave
Old 11th September 2010, 06:12 AM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If you can find them (i have a drawer with a half-dozen spare) the Foster-made tweeter in the Radio Shack add-on tweeter pod is quite good -- i like it better than FT17 but not as nice as FT96 (not that you notice a whole lot of difference with an XO >12k).

dave

let's gave Dave the benefit of the doubt, and assume that was a dimple rypo, and that he meant "add-on tweeter pod not the acronym for piece of s... ('cause that kind of language would be uncharacteristic of him )
Old 12th September 2010, 08:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't think i can find the foster in Romania. I will go for fe207e and ft17h from a local dealer , and maybe in a few months i will get a pair of phase plugged enabled fe207e's from dave, if they are still on stock @madisound.

Hide this!Advertise here!