Curvy Chang - Which speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While it does roll off above ~12KHz, esp. off axis, that's not necessarily such a bad thing as it keeps things smooth over extended periods, & it does still make 20KHz on-axis at about -6dB, give or take. If you want that extra HF energy, then yes, adding a supertweeter is beneficial, but it's certainly far from being a requirement, period.

I found it quite instructive to go and listen to some test tones, even compromized tones from the internet. I can't even hear 15kHz at my age and 12kHz is 'right up there' to my ears. Perhaps for some of us, it really is good advice not to worry about a roll-off at 12kHz !

Thanks again for the thorough replies. Does keeping to the fostex line help sound quality overall , i mean , is FT17H the best fostex tweeter for the money, the best tweeter to pair up with fe207e for the money , or simply the best tweeter the money ? Keeping the brand isn't important for me , just the end result of the whole package.

Roland.

If you can find them (i have a drawer with a half-dozen spare) the Foster-made tweeter in the Radio Shack add-on tweeter pod is quite good -- i like it better than FT17 but not as nice as FT96 (not that you notice a whole lot of difference with an XO >12k).

dave

let's gave Dave the benefit of the doubt, and assume that was a dimple rypo, and that he meant "add-on tweeter pod not the acronym for piece of s... ('cause that kind of language would be uncharacteristic of him :rolleyes: )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.