Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2010, 05:41 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

This thread is soley for the purpose of beta test builds of FH3, development of the documentation.

Please only post feedback, QC, problems, sucesses, failures. Drivers tried, associated damping, any measurements. Pictures illustarting specific issues or solutions. Finished speakers & general pics in the other thread.

If you are going to generate a build log, please start a new thread and post a link here.

Beta builds of the plan document will be posted here. I also envision a document with builds & build pictures, and a (set of?) 3D models.

QC posts, bug reports, and posts with implementation suggestions will be removed as they are implemented into the document(s).

dave

Note: any commerical entity intent on manufacturing complete speakers or flat-paks for resale will need to follow the guidelines on the Frugal-Horn site: Frugel-Horn plans

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Gallery

Most recent plan update in post 601.
25-february-2012

SketchUp 3D model 22-august-2010

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/beta/FHMk3-3D.zip
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

beta plan document 01-September-2010

updated: FH-Mk3-betaDoc-010910.pdf (post 8)

26-October-2010: Latest plans posted in post #38.
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:44 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

SketchUp 3D model 22-august-2010

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/beta/FHMk3-3D.zip
Old 2nd September 2010, 07:36 PM   #4
wagtail is offline wagtail  Ireland
diyAudio Member

i was wondering about access post-build for adjusting stuffing etc. thinking of a removable top section ( temporary) any ideas suggestions?
simon
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtail View Post
i was wondering about access post-build for adjusting stuffing etc. thinking of a removable top section ( temporary) any ideas suggestions?
simon

A couple of thoughts, based on several builds of test mules with removable panels:

The cut plans are drawn with internal panels, top, bottom and front baffle at 140mm, which assumes they are all set inside the curved side panels.

Depending on how you're planning on "finishing" when all has settled (i.e with the boxes be painted, veneered or plastic laminated?), you could either:

1) Temporarily attach one side panel with a few wood screws and seal with foam weatherstrip tape for the experimenting with panel damping and stuffing. Once that's finalized, remove the foam tape, glue down (using the existing screw locations as temporarily "clamps", then remove the screws and proceed to fill holes and finish (paint/veneer, etc.); or

2) To make (a section of ) the driver mounting panel easily removable, it's more practical to adjust part dimensions for the front panel to overlay the sides ( in other words 170mm). To retain structural rigidity, I'd keep the removable section as short as possible, overlap a dado and seal with foam tape. (see attached quickie sketch)

The latter option does of course mean resizing sides and front panels, and while I haven't run a new cut plan, it could complicate the already very tight yield from a 5x5 sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fh3top.pdf (5.7 KB, 1591 views)
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:26 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I suspect that most, if not all of the damping adjustments will be various amounts of polyfluff just below the driver in the section going down to the choke. One can get at this thru the driver hole. Optimum damping of the pointy bit has not been fully determined, but the amount that Chris put in our mules + lining on surfaces near the driver worked well for the FE126En, with a bit more required below the driver on the MA drivers (we haven't confirmed this). If you are pulling them out from the walls, and don't mind the bass a bit ripe (but controlled), the same damping as for the FE126En + a deflector (i'm currently using my Auston A166 ones) seems to work fine.

Chris, can you estimate how much you put into the point?

Also: what Chris has shown is also what you would do for a build (without supraBaffle) for being able to swap drivers.

dave
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:00 PM   #7
wagtail is offline wagtail  Ireland
diyAudio Member

thanks guys, i am new to this full range business so it is good to know that my 'wondering' is not just me being paranoid. i've learned so much from these last two posts.
Old 3rd September 2010, 07:10 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

beta plan document 02-September-2010

FH-Mk3-betaDoc-020910.pdf

(update in post 38)

Added:
1st draft damping plan
Chord & Height method for laying out curved mouth

Does anyone think that the pages with side panels on the grid are still required?
Old 3rd September 2010, 01:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think the side grid drawing are not needed...

The 69"radius is smaller than I had first thought from looking at the photos.

A swing arm jig to my router would make the panels easy to cut, the rest of the build is very easy. A DIY dream.

Thanks for all you guys do.......
Old 3rd September 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

Chris, can you estimate how much you put into the point?
I was afraid you'd ask that - sorry, no.

Quote:

Also: what Chris has shown is also what you would do for a build (without supraBaffle) for being able to swap drivers.

dave
presumably, only a really crazy person would be routinely swapping drivers just for the fun of it (oops, that describes most of us here, n-est ce pas?)

Hide this!Advertise here!