Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When you say "multiply or better" does that mean I can use solid wood for construction of the cabinet? Thanks

Solid wood can be used. You really need to know what you are doing. Best to use a "butcher block" material.

They may also not be as long lived as a plywood box, particularily if you live in a locale that has big swings in humidity.

Performance will vary from wood to wood (even among the same species).

I have seen some pretty nice solid wood builds.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
a glue-up panel for the side pieces.

Exactly how Bernie did his Victor

Victor-comp-pics.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/191159-woden-design-victor-fe166en-3.html#post2611790

(these w FE166eN^2 are for sale since he has decided to redo them in maple for the FE166eSR)

dave

Solid wood can be used. You really need to know what you are doing. Best to use a "butcher block" material.

They may also not be as long lived as a plywood box, particularily if you live in a locale that has big swings in humidity.

Performance will vary from wood to wood (even among the same species).

I have seen some pretty nice solid wood builds.

dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the insight.

I do have the resources to join up a “butcher board” and cut to desired shapes but I think I’ll go with the local box store birch ply for my first build. I’m like crazy busy right now but planning ahead and learning as time permits.

Robert

Here's a picture of mine when I was building them. They are baltic birch with roll on truck bed liner then sprayed blue.

I'm using some vintage Cleveland alnico drivers from a trashed Webcor reel to reel along with some Dayton ND20 tweeters crossed first order at 8k to cover the top end. This has been a fun and great sounding project so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 737
hi all - I'm about to start building a pair of frugal horns and my question is where/how to place the terminals? Also, do terminals typically come with the drivers when you buy them? I'm planning to order Fostex FE126En.

I presume I need to resolve these questions before I start gluing my panels together as I'll need to cut a space at the back for the terminals prior to assembly. (The Fostex website gives a nice schematic of the driver so I'm happy proceeding with the front of the cabinet before the speakers arrive.)

Appreciate your thoughts.

How big

If you were to put on a supra baffle to expand the outer edges and install an 8 inch driver in it???? What would happen....would it conflict with the back of the actual 5 inch opening going in to the frugal, would it totally suck?

I am finishing up my second set of frugals and thought about how others are making supra baffles to accommodate other drivers.....

?What would theoretically happen to an 8 inch full range driver.....Feel free to flog me now or later......

Jon

hi all - I'm about to start building a pair of frugal horns and my question is where/how to place the terminals? Also, do terminals typically come with the drivers when you buy them? I'm planning to order Fostex FE126En.

I presume I need to resolve these questions before I start gluing my panels together as I'll need to cut a space at the back for the terminals prior to assembly. (The Fostex website gives a nice schematic of the driver so I'm happy proceeding with the front of the cabinet before the speakers arrive.)

Appreciate your thoughts.

The location of terminals was intentionally left off the design drawings to allow flexibility

I personally like to keep the internal wire routing as short as possible, and mount mine on the rear slanted panel approx 75mm from the top.
In line with the "frugal" philosophy, there are several very inexpensive types of binding post / terminal cups or blocks that can be mounted externally, I like using a 2" cup with 5 way binding posts as it recesses on enclosures' rear panels, and also allows a bit of a hand-hold.

If you're ordering drivers from major distributors (Madiosound, PartsExpress, etc) terminals wouldn't be included, but can certainly ordered separately. I wouldn't spend more than $3-4 per enclosure for terminals.

If you were to put on a supra baffle to expand the outer edges and install an 8 inch driver in it???? What would happen....would it conflict with the back of the actual 5 inch opening going in to the frugal, would it totally suck?

I am finishing up my second set of frugals and thought about how others are making supra baffles to accommodate other drivers.....

?What would theoretically happen to an 8 inch full range driver.....Feel free to flog me now or later......

Jon

whether /how well any particular 8" driver would "theoretically work" in this design is hard to say, but it is likely that the fit would be very tight - at the very least might require another spacer between the enclosure front panel and supra-baffle

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you can fit them, maybe. and if you can make JX92s work, you are likely able to make A10.2 work. The closest -- size wise -- we have done is FE138eSR and it worked well except where it fell on its face from issues not influenced by the FH3. Used as a bass driver in a FAST with FF85wk, very good.

236787d1314064000-frugel-horn-mk3-fh3-fe138.jpg

Try JX92 and report back.

dave