Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

IMG_0363.jpg
Buy me a bourbon next time you're over this way, and we're even.

In the meantime, I'll hoist one for ya tonite.

:cheers:

decisions, decisions

I said just one - it's a work night

Last edited:
I know where that stuff in the middle comes from...and where it needs to go...:drink:

The rest, I can't say...

I can say this: Cheers!

yah, the clear stuff is a daily driver, and the Glenfiddich is reserved for company (mostly my dear FIL), but the Basil is a special treat. "Too bad" that my friends and family don't appreciate it as much as I

cheers, Scott ( I cheated and stretched it to 2- nitey nite ):grouphug:

Last edited:
Ya gotta offer it before it can be appreciated :)

Just none of the peaty stuff.
dave

Drop by sometime for a taste of Macallan's 12 year old. There's also some decent Rum here.

offer available only to on site visitors, and it's a long drive back for folks with a low threshold

Speaking of long drives, you just missed the first annual Comox Whiskey Festival.

jeff

:D

Hope you enjoyed the beverage last night Chris. I did mine (Bushmills Black Bush = highly recommended BTW ;) )

I guess you'd really hate this one then Dave... believe me, the name is well chosen. Very well chosen. Smokehead Whisky - Islay Single Malt Scotch

I'm with Dave on the peatier variety - several years ago I was gifted an Islay something or other ( might have been Lagavulin) I couldn't finish it myself - but my sister and FIL were able to help out.

We'll see about the Black Bush tonite. Somehow that sounds smutty, but my wife is a brunette.

Here are a couple pictures of my finished Frugal Horn Mk3's.
They have use Mark Audio CHP-70 paper cone driver and are finished in natural polished Ash veneer.

These are a stonkingly good speaker and if you don't have the room layout for corner loading these speakers (ala Fostex drivers) then I can highly recommend these drivers. They happily sit either side my chimney breast in my listening room placed about 600mm off the rear wall for good deep controlled bass. Mids and HF are also good from this little driver. They also are best postioned without any toe-in. Must be down to Mark Fenlon's wide dispersion cone design.
I like these speakers a lot. Highly recommended.

For those in Canada and North America try the CSS EL70 variant of this driver, if you can't get the European CHP70 version.

Attachments

• KH MK3_01.jpg
    KH MK3_01.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • KH MK3_02.jpg
    KH MK3_02.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,381
Aha! New pictures. Lovely build as always Colin.

Thanks Scott. As you know I try to build to a professional standard as my meagre facilities allow.

However, top design there matey. You and DaveD have a winner on your hands and they have great WAF. Lynn, my wife, loves them.

Those are quite simply beautiful! Well done.

Thanks for the compliment Kristleifur.

Because "wearing horns on the head" means being cuckold (here in France), I greatly hope my wife can't even think about this image !:(

Going back to the subject of this thread, you give interresting information about the positionning of the CHP70 FH in your room, 600mm from the back wall.
Because FH MK3 are suitable for a variety of loudspeakers, maybe other builders could mention the appropriate location depending on the speaker used ?

As soon as I will have built my own FH (as soon means after strikes, demonstrations and other French specialities ...:eek:), I will be able to try at least 2 sets of speakers, and let let you know my experience