Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Indeed, in the well over decade since first prototypes, the FH family has proven to be a very accommodating design topology. It was a great pleasure to have participated in that adventure.
FWIW, my personal favorite drivers were in respective order: FHL - FF85WK; FH3 - Alpair 7.3; FHXL - Alpair 10.3/10P. Having been retired from active DIYing for a few years now, I’ve missed playing with the more recent MA drivers, but ennui/fatigue has overtaken FOMO, and on reflection, I think I’m happier to be out of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
August 2010:

FH3-vi7.jpg

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All the current 4in Markaudio drivers work fine; most of the 4in Tang Band fullrange units, the FF105wk, FF125wk, FE126NV, FE103NV, FE108NS (although I wouldn't given its overall response characteristic), FE108ESigma, the Monacors referred to have always been OK, Visaton's B100 etc. A few more, but those cover a reasonable range. The alignment will differ somewhat depending on their exact spec., and you need to pick one that suits requirements of course, so I'm not saying they all will work the same way, but they do go in -FH3 was deliberately designed from the outset to accept a reasonable range of drive units so people could play as they wish.

With that answer do I feel a obligation to order a pair of each and test them all...
First of all do I need to source Baltic Birch, has been proven to be difficult today. Then can I pick one of the drivers above :)

Was somebody interested in solid wood construction of a Frugal horn?

Here is a few pictures of the ones I built.

As Dave and others have said you need a bit of experience in working with wood before you tackle a project like this. But boy is it ever worth it if it works out for you.

Frugal horn XL with MA 10p Enabled by Dave
Made from 3/4 inch Big Leaf Maple planks with 1/4 inch strips of Pacific Yew inserts. All solid wood inside and out.
Sound is quite amazing with a pair of 8inch sown firing helper subs.
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMGP5521.JPG
    IMGP5521.JPG
    621.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMGP5530.JPG
    IMGP5530.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMGP5529.JPG
    IMGP5529.JPG
    460.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP5528.JPG
    IMGP5528.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMGP5527.JPG
    IMGP5527.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMGP5526.JPG
    IMGP5526.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMGP5525.JPG
    IMGP5525.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMGP5524.JPG
    IMGP5524.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMGP5523.JPG
    IMGP5523.JPG
    562.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMGP5522.JPG
    IMGP5522.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: 6 users
I've tried SPH-60X in FH3 and works fine. High sensitivity and good bass extension, flat to 50Hz in my room. Very nice playing rock and movies.

60X Lacks a bit in highs, SHP68X is said to have better treble (I have not tested).

It looks like the -68X/AD are about 5db higher above 3-4kHz. So there are some improvement compared to -60X. However are datasheets only datasheets and reality are reality. I think I go for the -68X/AD when it's time.

SPH 60 vs 68.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Was somebody interested in solid wood construction of a Frugal horn?

Here is a few pictures of the ones I built.

As Dave and others have said you need a bit of experience in working with wood before you tackle a project like this. But boy is it ever worth it if it works out for you.

Frugal horn XL with MA 10p Enabled by Dave
Made from 3/4 inch Big Leaf Maple planks with 1/4 inch strips of Pacific Yew inserts. All solid wood inside and out.
Sound is quite amazing with a pair of 8inch sown firing helper subs.
Enjoy
Wow, what a nice job. Just having them for looking at would do let alone using them. :cool:

I have started my FH mk3 build and this week will I add the stuffing before I Close the cabinet.
I'm struggling a little by understanding the stuffing-page in the plans.
What I have in my hands are
10mm felt-mat.
Acousta-stuff, synthetic fibres
Drivers are TG W4-2142.

The felt are no problem, I will add according to the blue on the drawing.
But what about the Acousta-stuff.
How much do I ad to the orange zone? What can I expect to add to the red-cloudish zone?
The orange will be fixed after closing the cabinet, the red are hopfully adjustable....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213_071712_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213_071712_Samsung Notes.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 127
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
30 g in the point. The tricky part is getting the density right. You want it to be denser at the point. The guidline is. tease very well, gathe rinto an equal amount the length of the file area. Then try to stuff it in such that you ar eputting the same amount thruout the pink ignoring that it is triangular. That makes it denser at the point and graduaky decreasing density to the top.

The bit in the front is where you adjust for driver, room room placement, amplifier output impedance, and taste.

dave

Reactions: 1 users
PerCarlin,

Just taking a casual glance at your photos. I may building these cabinets sometime in the spring. Even though they look relatively simple to build, is there anything so far that might have given you pause about the process? Also, you got to tell me which hand plane it is shown in the background of one of the photos. Been doing it that way myself for a number of years.

Hand plane: one of many in my workshop, don't know any brand or number. I take the one that I need for the moment. I can take a photo of it tomorrow.

Show stoppers: don't know yet.
I had the sides CNC-milled, would been a disaster with my jigsaw.
Measure twice, cut once are always a good recommendation.
All other panels are 140mm wide. I guess that cutting these with consistant width are crucial, if one side are 138 and the other are 143 will it be tough to close the cabinets without big airgaps.