Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 79 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 05:53 AM   #781
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Valvesound,
That's great that you tried them with temporary sticky tack. However, I doubt that this makes an airtight seal and a pinhole leak is all it takes to kill the warmth from the deep bass. Reserve your listening judgement until after you properly seal with glue. If you have ever played a woodwind instrument you know how a very small leak in a finger pad prevents the lowest note from being played. The conundrum is how do you adjust the stuffing after buttoning it all up? You can do a lot with curved wire hooks through the driver cutout. Another way is to make the top removable with a rubber gasket. Once you seal it, I am almost certain that the sound will be warmer and better.
Old 21st February 2013, 06:17 AM   #782
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Upper midrange (1.25-2.5k) is not going to be affected by stuffing, unless you are getting refection back thru the cone (the felt you used would need to be too reflective). These drivers need 500 hrs or so before they are approaching full breakin. What amp are you using?

And what X said

dave
Old 21st February 2013, 06:52 AM   #783
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, I haven't put a second layer of felt behind the driver like you suggested yet, was too eager to get them playing . I will definitely do it tonight.

Regarding break-in....these drivers had about 50 hours runtime in shoeboxes after I received them from you, so yes they aren't fully run in yet.

I'm using a DIY Nelson Pass F5 amplifier.

What change can I expect to hear if I add the other 20g stuffing under the driver?

I hear what X said but am afraid to go to the completely glued-up state yet.....

Last edited by valvesound; 21st February 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:48 AM   #784
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Adding stuffing usually decreases the magnitude of the bass (as well as smoothing the ripple)

50 hrs is still the awkward phase.

A brightness can often be a case of not enuff bass -- i note that you are only trusting that the goey stuff is holding on the sides. With the bass that an FH3 is capable of without screws every 6" or so or lots of clamps, the sides are going to be moving all over the place. It looks like you used some sort of particle board, that won't takemuch in/put action of the screws, i'd glue them up and add more stuffing if needed by pushing it down from the driver hole -- having someone with small hands and skinny arms might be helpful.

We won't worry about the bass, but the combo of (what should be) a great amp and the FH3/EL70eN combo should be showing you something about the quality of recording.

dave
Old 21st February 2013, 07:55 AM   #785
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the combo revealing a bad recording. The speakers I have used up to now might be more lenient towards bad recordings.

On the run-in of the drivers....initially when I put the drivers in the shoe boxes they sounded like small drivers in shoe boxes. After the 50 hours they opened up and a full sound stage was revealed so I'll put some more hours on them as you suggest.

Last edited by valvesound; 21st February 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:16 AM   #786
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello VS and Hello all,

I ran mine in 24/7 at low volume for two weeks before I tamed the bass a bit with the stuffing. Please don't underestimate the blue tack it's nearly as good as the glue, I jumped on the sides to seal them and then they become quite difficult to get off. It was a month before I glued them up properly, I wanted to be really satisfied that I'd got the sound I wanted.

Cheers - Jim
Old 21st February 2013, 09:25 AM   #787
diyAudio Member

I also thought that I got a good enough seal with the sticky tac.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:51 AM   #788
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you ever have doubts what is going on with a new build, get a Panasonic wm61a mic capsule ($2 ea) and wire it to an old 3.5mm jack and plug into mic input if your pc. Use Holmimpulse to get freq response spectrum. Very useful tool.
Old 21st February 2013, 10:22 AM   #789
diyAudio Member

thanks for that info x!
Old 21st February 2013, 11:52 AM   #790
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
Hello VS and Hello all,

I ran mine in 24/7 at low volume for two weeks before I tamed the bass a bit with the stuffing. Please don't underestimate the blue tack it's nearly as good as the glue, I jumped on the sides to seal them and then they become quite difficult to get off. It was a month before I glued them up properly, I wanted to be really satisfied that I'd got the sound I wanted.

Cheers - Jim
You are right about blue tack, if you need a lot of it they sell it on ebay for waterproofing camper roof hatches. I can't remember what it's called but it comes in a long bead on paper backing, very handy for application.

Hide this!Advertise here!