Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Hello,

If it's any help I ran my FH3's with the CHP-70's in for two weeks 24/7. I used a tuner quite loud, my stuff is in a little room at the back of the garage. They did sound better and now 7 or 8 years later they are magnificent.

Incidentally the garage is damp in the winter and the temperature goes from -10c to +35c, it doesn't bother them at all. Well made stuff!

I've just found the 'new' Tangerine Dream trio and their stuff is a full range wall of sound, also magnificent. Even better than the Coventry Cathedral gig, yes, I was there!

[edit] I forgot to say that their recordings are the only ones where I hear sound to the left and to the right of the speakers.

Cheers

Last edited:
OK so I'm green with REW, UMIK & miniDSP 2x4HD but I'm finding it a great way to play and investigate.

After a couple of passes I'm certainly enjoying the horns+MA, Before I could just not settle into them or give them any prolonged listening. With EQ applied I've had no reason to stop :). My tastes seem to favour the addition of a Low Shelf filter to lift the low end from 100Hz.

Previous measurements were based on just one speaker so I thought I would compare the two at the listening position without any EQ. I was surprised to see the dip at ~72Hz on the RH speaker. At first I thought there was something wrong with the speaker but swapping positions they showed the same response on the RH speaker again. Of course I'm showing my naivety here as I soon realised it’s a room mode/positioning issue. The RH speaker is towards a corner.

I've played with the stuffing again and did not see much change in the results what would I be expecting to see/hear?

Attachments

• Left & Right Comparison.png
    Left & Right Comparison.png
    44 KB · Views: 375
I was really dispointed with the build at first. I had done a lot of reading here and elsewhere and wanted a relaitively simple build for my first set of DIY speakers. The support and enthusasium found here sealed the deal.

The build was done and they made a noise so that was a good start but as I say thier harshness just meant that I could not open my ears. Then other things took over and I have not touched them for a good 6 months. I came back to them in their new home and nahh I could not tolerate them. Hence the mic etc to see what was going on.

Now I can listen and I can hear so much more from the speakers both in detail and direction. The later must have always been there but as I say previously I just don't think I was listening. Don't get me wrong I don't think they are there yet, there is still certain material that sounds a little too bright. Given the size of the driver the bass is pretty good. Y

ears of stupid car bass setups does make me a feel I'd like a helper sub but I'm trying to resist that avenue. Those efforts will go to the lounge AV project started and stalled.

Another DIY element to this was that I built Tom's Mod-86 amp to power them and that is so clean where as other amps may add more character. It reminds me I need to dig my LINN LK85 out again as I did find the horns a smige better on that.

The shocker is when I switch back to the flat miniDSP preset :h_ache:.

Entire site is working for me. :scratch1:

I don't understand technology well. Is it because I am trying to do it from Indian IP? I get the message: "This domain is pending renewal or has expired. Please contact the domain provider with questions". I have tried from three browsers after clearing history (IE, Firefox, Chrome). Not sure if the network admins in the office are trying to confuse me and get me back to work!!

hallo FH thread :)

I have read most of this thread and it has been inspiring, now I can no longer resist the temptation and have begun to build a couple of FH with MA 7 drivers.

Speaker grills become necessary (WAF and kids), when I listen I will probably take them off.

I think I want to put magnets in the back of the front plate before assembling, and a little bit of Iron in the corners of speaker grills, so when you take speaker the gril off there is no visible magnets ,the magnets is 2 mm. under the wood of the front plate.

I want to place them so that they all have the same distance to the device, so the magnetic impact will be the same from every side of the driver.

The question
can this solution affect the driver magnetically , the MA 7 driver is magnetically shielded,i ask because I have no experience with this and want a good and pretty result.
For illustration see the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_105156546.jpg
    IMG_20200114_105156546.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20200114_105215854.jpg
    IMG_20200114_105215854.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20200114_105327131.jpg
    IMG_20200114_105327131.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20200114_134743398.jpg
    IMG_20200114_134743398.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 295
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The magnets will not effect things.

You want to use a magnet in the baffle under the veneer, and corresponding magnets in the grills.

Take care to get things aligned and the correct orientation of the magnets.

I am always thrilled with how the grill just pulls itself into place when you put it near.

(Note: this is 2nd hand, look for chrisb post that describes the process in more detail)

dave

Question on the SupraBaffle. In the plans for the Mk3, there are two designs for the SupraBaffle, one is simply a plate screwed onto the baffle the same width as the enclosure. The other SB is wider on the sides and has, I'll call them SB sides, that partially cover the sides of the enclosure.

Do these SB sides have any function, does the extra width of this SB help with baffle step loss? If the extra width is indeed important, why doesn't this also extend on the top of the baffle? It seems to me that the sound wave coming from the speaker are circular in nature, and therefore the top of the baffle would be as important as the sides. Or am I not understanding the shape of the wave?

Is there any value in widening the SB while leaving off the SB sides? Granted it could be a simple experiment to measure different baffle sizes and shapes, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.