Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 09:56 AM   #691
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys. I'll double the stuffing in the exit side of the line when I pull the drivers to install felt. The bass bloom seems to be in the 50-100Hz octave. 40hz is +3db. Overall, the bass is not particularly objectionable, though might become tiring over extended listening.
Not boxy sounding at all.
Peter
Old 30th August 2012, 12:55 PM   #692
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I would like to back to a valve/tube power amplifier for my soon to be built Frugal horns - (either Alpair -7 or EL70's) anyone have any suggestions? I suppose a pre-amp with a low cut-off filter (+/- 20Hz) will be needed to avoid excessive cone displacement?)

Room size = 5m X 6m in an attic so low and sloping ceilings..

All ideas and suggestions very welcome
Old 30th August 2012, 03:58 PM   #693
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam0 View Post
I would like to back to a valve/tube power amplifier for my soon to be built Frugal horns - (either Alpair -7 or EL70's) anyone have any suggestions? I suppose a pre-amp with a low cut-off filter (+/- 20Hz) will be needed to avoid excessive cone displacement?)

As alluded to in the other current thread on this subject, if my feet were put to the fire for a recommendation in this application, it'd be for the Alpair7 - your room's not particularly large, and a decent tube amp (even as little as 5-6W of SET) could be very musically detailed combination.

The EL70s could well sound a bit dark in this particular application, and while you've not expressed an interest in the Fostex FE126E, which certainly works well in this box, they could be a bit too aggressively forward in presentation, and even harsh in the upper midrange.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:29 PM   #694
diyAudio Member

Cone displacement at low frequencies shouldn't be an issue. If you're listening to music with high spl, sub 40 Hz content, you've got the wrong speaker and wrong amp (e.g low power tube) for that duty.

As for amp, see if these folks will ship to you: MP-301 MK3 Mini Tube Amplifier with Headphone Output

I have the Mk II version and its a well built, nice sounding integrated amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam0 View Post

Old 11th September 2012, 01:54 AM   #695
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Question First ever build upcoming - some "pre-advice" please!

I've been wanting to try a speaker build for years, and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I really like the look of the mk3, and the relatively easy build, and from all I've read it should fit my listening styles well (prog rock, prog jazz, jazz, singer/songwriter stuff, acoustic guitar, etc). No head banging to speak of (usually). I'm hoping to get some advice on driver selection before I start. I am in the middle of finishing my dedicated 2-channel listening room, and these will hopefully be the speakers to break in the virgin space. The room is 12' x 17' with 93" ceilings. It will be treated with 4" absorption panels (OC703) on the front wall (behind the speakers), at the first reflection points on the side walls and on the drywall ceiling. Bass traps are in the 2 front wall corners and I am still trying to figure out where to put one or two on the back wall. As this is a dedicated listening room, I'm able to place the speakers where necessary, and have the room to follow the 38% rule, Fibonacci sequence, etc. to locate the speakers and my listening placement relative to them. I can't wait to play around with it! I will be listening almost exclusively to an analog source (vinyl) and my plan is to drive these with a low powered tube amp, which is yet to be purchased. I am not in a position to spend a ton, so I've been looking at something along the lines of a Bottlehead Sex amp, Jolida, etc. So speaker efficiency is a major consideration given the low power.

I'm looking for recommendations on which driver would be a good fit for my space and equipment plan,and whether there's anything else I should know before I dive in. I plan to use 15mm Baltic birch ply, and the cuts will be made by the shop teacher at my wife's high school (she's a teacher) in their woodshop. I will do the assembly and finishing. Again, recommendations are appreciated for this newbie!

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Old 11th September 2012, 02:06 AM   #696
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Only add the absorbers if you find you need them.

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 02:13 AM   #697
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that is my plan. The floor will be carpeted, but the other surfaces will be reflective. I'll probably need some, but the amount will no doubt depend on the speakers. I expect it to be a process of trial and error since I have no easily accessible way to measure the room otherwise!

Any driver recommendation? I want to order some but am hesitant to just pick one blindly...
Old 13th September 2012, 12:16 PM   #698
diyAudio Member

Question 18mm vs. 3/4" plywood thickness

I've searched around here (Milwaukee area) and none of the specialty wood shops have Baltic birch ply in 15mm or 18mm. I can get 1/2" and 3/4" though. Can I use the 18mm cut sheet with 3/4" (19mm) ply? Any modifications that would be needed?
Old 13th September 2012, 12:22 PM   #699
diyAudio Member

Go to home depot or menards and look for Baltic Birch 3/4 inch. Lowe's too. That is what i used over here in La Crosse
Old 13th September 2012, 01:02 PM   #700
diyAudio Member

You would be fortunate if you can get actual Baltic Birch at either HD or Lowes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonparkhurst View Post
Go to home depot or menards and look for Baltic Birch 3/4 inch. Lowe's too. That is what i used over here in La Crosse

Hide this!Advertise here!