Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2012, 06:51 AM   #651
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
Awesome thanks

thanks, i appreciate it
Old 10th July 2012, 07:56 AM   #652
diyAudio Member

OK, read the thread and most of the original FH mkIII thread. Ordered the drivers – Alpair 7.3 seems to be flavor of the month.

Originally I was thinking BIB with 4” Fostex driver. I needed a smaller speaker for new lounge/TV room, FE168EZ BIBs a little large (have a dedicated room for my FE208EZ/T90 BIBs). So reading I came across the FH mkIII and liked the looks, build and design so…..

Looking at 15mm ply build and thinking about a 300mm round supra baffle (as I have done with the BIBs). But strangely I have seen no builds with such a supra baffle and wonder why, even the plans mention it as an option. Is there any likely benefit or is it simply unnecessary? With my meager collection of power tools I have trouble rebating the driver so was thinking the supra baffle would b a simple way of rebating - made out of 2 @ 300mm disks one speaker cutout cut to outer speaker diameter, other to inner diameter and glue together. May also have a larger cutout behind the baffle to allow for better access – bolt supra baffle to cab with foam seal strips.

Appreciate thoughts as I am deciding on my build approach.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:31 PM   #653
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

ChrisMmm,

The supra baffle for FH Mk3 plans was added to facilitate changing drivers, as the FH Mk3 supports mutiple driver types with a slight change of stuffing amount and room placement. Builders ready to experiement can switch supra baffles and install a driver of their choice if built with this option.

The Alp 7.3 is a good choice. My build is with my own version of supra baffle. I have an unfinished pair of SB for Alp 7.3 also, but use CHP-70 or EL-70 in my frugs. Pics attached for your reference.

If you have no plans of swapping out the drivers, just go ahead and build the original design without SB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHMK3_01.jpg (75.1 KB, 617 views)
Old 10th July 2012, 01:36 PM   #654
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the answer has presented itself.

The suprabaffle is more likely necessary when the desired driver is bigger than 4 inches.

If you do some more research/reading, you may find that flush mounting the woofer is primarily to avoid tweeter diffraction issues. With a full range driver it is more of a cosmetic choice.

With 15mm material, you're not going to be rebating the Alpair 7. It's flange is 8.8mm thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMmm View Post
. . . . .
But strangely I have seen no builds with such a supra baffle and wonder why, even the plans mention it as an option. Is there any likely benefit or is it simply unnecessary? . . . .
Appreciate thoughts as I am deciding on my build approach.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:28 PM   #655
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
With 15mm material, you're not going to be rebating the Alpair 7. It's flange is 8.8mm thick.
Good catch! IIRC Mark recommends flush mounting of drivers (and definitely chamfering on the inside)

So either a supra baffle or an extra layer of 6mm ply on the front can be an option to support the flush mount.

Last edited by zman01; 10th July 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:56 PM   #656
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

ChrisMmm:

We've actually built a bespoke pair for FE126EN with a rectangular solid cherry SB & side returns:
SXSW: Barry Knittel Lounge DMX Music BlogDMX Music Blog

and at least a few folks have experimented with other small SB shapes as well.

However, I think the aesthetics of the enclosure are so elegant without that I understand why except for the need to shoehorn a larger driver, such as the TangBand W5 1611, most don't.

I will differ with fastbike1 on the lack of requirement to rebate/flush mount any of the Alpairs, and all that's required is to increase the thickness of front baffle to 18mm (what we do with the P10 flat packs) - either by laminating 3mm of ply or MDF to the face, or using thicker material if on hand. The 7.3 is not a particularly massive driver, and with scalloping of the relief of rear cut-out to leave solid "pads" at the mounting screw locations, still leaves plenty of material for mechanical fasteners.

BTW, in case I've not mentioned it before, the hex head screws that Mark ships are just great - but be very careful to guard the driver cone with a piece of wood or cardboard while installing them - one light glancing slip is all it takes to ruin your day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7scalloped.JPG (595.8 KB, 596 views)
Old 10th July 2012, 08:11 PM   #657
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can go for a 18mm ply build so really supra-baffle or not is down to aesthetics tho I do like the idea of having better access to adjust stuffing.

My recollection with BIBs is that being against the wall or corner that baffle step is not such an issue, am I right and will that be the case with the FH as its bit further from the wall due to curved cab?

I think, aesthetically, supra-baffles look good on a BIB but that may be because of the height whereas, and I do agree, the FH is a very simple and elegant design, maybe best kept “clean”.

I can picture my 168 BIB with the top part cut off to get a feel for the looks. Mmm, I think a supra-baffle may make the FH look top heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIBs.jpg (59.0 KB, 569 views)

Last edited by ChrisMmm; 10th July 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 09:23 PM   #658
diyAudio Member

ChrisMmm,

Post # 712 from Yai:
Frugel-Horn Mk3

A removable top - perhaps the most convenient solution to adjust stuffing?
Old 10th July 2012, 09:43 PM   #659
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
ChrisMmm,

Post # 712 from Yai:
Frugel-Horn Mk3

A removable top - perhaps the most convenient solution to adjust stuffing?

indeed it is
Old 16th July 2012, 02:40 AM   #660
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
I have finally got about 80 hours broken in with my Alpair 7 Frugal Horns. I placed them out into room more than I would the older Kef units and...I Am Really Very Impressed!!!
Driven by an old leak 20 the are loud enough for me, the have great bottom end, you can tell the bass from the organ from the kick drum! Admittedly, i really want to like them, but with all taken into account, I Am Really Very Impressed!!! Better than I expected and I expected a fair bit! I am hesitant to adjust the stuffing, love it!
Good Job!

Hide this!Advertise here!