Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With 3W you are definitely running shy. I recommend a minimum of 10w but have heard a 2A3 SE do a pretty good job even in my big room. It all depends on how close you listen, and how loud you want to ply. If it was a nearfield situation it would probably be enuff. I am currently using 6W Pass ACA amps and i rarely have issues (A7, A10x, FF85wk, Pluvia Seven, A5.2 have been in the system during the ACAs tenure).

dave

Something else to keep in mind is that in spite of enthusiastic marketing press, not all "flea" watt amps are created equal -at least one pair of Nelson's ACA should be in everyone's arsenal - total net cost can be far less than set of boutique DHT and drivers
I love my TubeLab Simple PP, but even with "recycled" OPT, by the time the fumes had dissipated, the fuelled and ready to fly cost was well over $600 - And the rather short lived Pvanne tubes were the only real extravagance

donovas - what does the currency exchange and any associated freight, import etc look like in terms of final landed cost on that unit?

I'd be very wary of something like this myself - I think it's well established that the Fostex FE126EN and several models of Mark Audio work wonderfully in the FH3. :) The only Tang Band I've heard in them is the W5 1611, and while it wasn't my personal cup of tea, it wasn't horrible.

Hi all!
I have a little question.. I've finished my built some months ago and I'm very happy with the horns!
Now I'm looking for some sort of stand, like the metal thing with the spikes that I saw in a lot of photos.. Where can I find them? I've searched but nothing..

Thank you all!

so i bought those drivers from a local importer- $70 for a pair. they look really nice and doesnt sound bad connected raw without enclosure. pictures of them in FH3 and sound impression coming soon. :)

i'm working hard to finish the enclosures.

also i was wondering, would FH3 be possible to scale up to 8" drivers?

The maximum size that we've personally experimented with in the FH3 have been the W5-1611 - as noted above, not horrible, but a bit thick in the upper mids and very dark up top; and the Fostex FE138ESR - notably disappointing, as in the patented Fostex screech on steroids.

The FHXL works very well with both models of Alpair10 and the FF165WK - other candidates discussed have been a couple of models of Lowther , something my wallet can't currently afford.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We did build a set of the Twin FH3. It has one of Bob's MTM sets installed. The same concept could be applied to the FHXL and the FH-Lite.

Here in comparison to Maeshowe & FH3

twin-FH3-Maeshowe.jpg

dave

Don't remember seeing that family portrait before,

The central enclosure was the stacked FH3 (sans 5dg tilt) and outfitted with CSS VWR126 mid-bass & dome tweeter kit. (now apparently discontinued?) - very prodigious bass from those little buggers.

I quite liked the Maeshowe (A7.3) - both of the taller cabinets too large for any of my spaces, but with the right room are quite impressive.