Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2011, 06:10 PM   #551
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

I've heard all above except for the FX120 and European CHP70 (G1), and it's probably time to fess up that my earlier overwhelming preference for the FE126En in this enclosure has been somewhat undermined by further listening to the various Mark Audio models. We still need to try with Alpair6 paper - another sleeper.
The CHP70 (G1) performs very well in the FH Mk3.... I've put my pair back in the cabs. I'm pretty sure you'd luv'em.
Old 22nd November 2011, 06:59 PM   #552
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
The CHP70 (G1) performs very well in the FH Mk3.... I've put my pair back in the cabs. I'm pretty sure you'd luv'em.

but of course as you know the CHP70 available to us here is the Gen2, which is quite different from yours or other current paper coned MA drivers, and at 50% more some folks might find the Alpair6P "too rich for my blood" for a 3" driver
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:42 PM   #553
diyAudio Member

Nice, looks like max damping is around the 60ish hz mark! I have some chr70.3's and was thinking pencils or fh3's. The fh3's are much more attractive!

Thank you Chrisb
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:45 AM   #554
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried a Philips/Norelco AD5061/M8 driver in a Frugel MK3? Might be a very good match.

Regards,

Paul
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:38 PM   #555
diyAudio Member

Default Frugal Frog Build

OK here is my feedback... Still early days on the listening front...

Speaker: Fostex FE126en
Material: 18mm commercial ply (that is what they call it here. It is a 11ply hardwood ply that is weather resistant (but not 100% waterproof like marine ply). The outside has a Sapele veneer on one side)
Finish: Vinyl wallpaper wrap on the sides and top/bottom. baffle is high gloss laquer and the horn mouth is matt NC laquer...
Stuffing: I used a dense quilt type material and for the walls I used a mix of one layer laminate floor undermat (a type of rubber mat) and 'dog blanket'...

I used the plans from the following post: Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Everything was spot on. I drew up my own cut-list as I rebated all the pieces so I needed the width pieces to be wider (if that makes sense)... I also was not too concerned with grain as I covered the whole project...

My only diversion from the plan is that I added a 3mm MDF to the baffle so that i could get a smooth finish (as I required for that part)...

Cutting the curve ended up being relatively easy once I found a pole long enough in my Garage.

Here are some curve cutting pics:

Click the image to open in full size.
Frugal Curve - Frugalhorn Mk3 build by arclients, on Flickr

notice the thick chalk mark on the trestle table. That was for lining the uncut board up. Worked a treat as the results were within 1mm of each other.

After cutting I clamped the sides together and smoothed the edge with a random orbital sander...

Once I have listened more I will report back on my sound impressions. There are a few issues I would like to sort out...

- One of those is the tendency for sibilance with the speakers
- a slight imbalance (rising response) in the upper midrange/lower treble) that can be grating.

I need to listen a whole lot more though. Experience has tough me that a good four weeks of listening where I can throw all sorts of music at the speakers will help me form a more balanced impression.

For pics of the finished speakers have a look at the following post: Frugel-Horn Mk3 Picture Gallery

Big thanks to those brains that have contributed to this project. I am more than happy with my time/money investment on this project.
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:51 PM   #556
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternativeroute View Post
Big thanks to those brains that have contributed to this project. I am more than happy with my time/money investment on this project.
Second that!
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:58 PM   #557
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
Has anyone tried a Philips/Norelco AD5061/M8 driver in a Frugel MK3? Might be a very good match.
Certainly a vintage driver worth a shot.

dave
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:55 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

My idea. I think I will build a pair and share my experience. First thing to do is pick up a pair of them somewhere. I have two 5061/M driversinstalled in my car but those are 4 ohm. My tube amp wont like that very much.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:45 PM   #559
diyAudio Member

Alternative route: thats a nice build!

BTW, I fitted the rev3 alpairs to mine this evening and they sound very good indeed!! Tighter bass and sweeter treble....

Fran
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:50 PM   #560
diyAudio Member

Fran,

Good to know you're enjoying your speakers. What did you have in it earlier - first gen Alp 7?

Hide this!Advertise here!