Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 04:22 PM   #531
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythosofsmythos View Post
hi all - I'm about to start building a pair of frugal horns and my question is where/how to place the terminals? Also, do terminals typically come with the drivers when you buy them? I'm planning to order Fostex FE126En.

I presume I need to resolve these questions before I start gluing my panels together as I'll need to cut a space at the back for the terminals prior to assembly. (The Fostex website gives a nice schematic of the driver so I'm happy proceeding with the front of the cabinet before the speakers arrive.)

Appreciate your thoughts.

The location of terminals was intentionally left off the design drawings to allow flexibility

I personally like to keep the internal wire routing as short as possible, and mount mine on the rear slanted panel approx 75mm from the top.
In line with the "frugal" philosophy, there are several very inexpensive types of binding post / terminal cups or blocks that can be mounted externally, I like using a 2" cup with 5 way binding posts as it recesses on enclosures' rear panels, and also allows a bit of a hand-hold.

If you're ordering drivers from major distributors (Madiosound, PartsExpress, etc) terminals wouldn't be included, but can certainly ordered separately. I wouldn't spend more than $3-4 per enclosure for terminals.
Old 10th November 2011, 04:27 PM   #532
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonparkhurst View Post
If you were to put on a supra baffle to expand the outer edges and install an 8 inch driver in it???? What would happen....would it conflict with the back of the actual 5 inch opening going in to the frugal, would it totally suck?

I am finishing up my second set of frugals and thought about how others are making supra baffles to accommodate other drivers.....

?What would theoretically happen to an 8 inch full range driver.....Feel free to flog me now or later......

Jon

whether /how well any particular 8" driver would "theoretically work" in this design is hard to say, but it is likely that the fit would be very tight - at the very least might require another spacer between the enclosure front panel and supra-baffle
Old 10th November 2011, 07:12 PM   #533
diyAudio Member

thanks!! will let you know how i get on.
Old 10th November 2011, 10:18 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
A friend has some jordan JX92s - he is willing to give me a lend of them to try out, but its a bit of a job to go and actually get them (distance).

Can anyone tell me whether they are suited to the frugal horn? spec sheet here: http://documents.jordan-usa.com/JX92S.pdf

TIA

fran

Anyone know an answer to this?

Fran
Old 10th November 2011, 10:57 PM   #535
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you can fit them, maybe. and if you can make JX92s work, you are likely able to make A10.2 work. The closest -- size wise -- we have done is FE138eSR and it worked well except where it fell on its face from issues not influenced by the FH3. Used as a bass driver in a FAST with FF85wk, very good.

Click the image to open in full size.

Try JX92 and report back.

dave
Old 10th November 2011, 11:44 PM   #536
diyAudio Member

They're only 140mmdia, so should fit in OK I think, don't think they'd go back too far...

will report back....
Old 11th November 2011, 11:22 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

I mounted these terminals, which require only a small opening, 12 inches from the top. That distance still allows access to wiring after the cabs are glued up. They also look good at that location.

Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Terminal 260-302
Old 11th November 2011, 10:22 PM   #538
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Terminal 260-302
Thanx for the URL, i'd been looking for those on PE site (and not finding them) for some time. We use a 2" cup with the same posts (preferred over the solid metal ones)

dave
Old 11th November 2011, 10:52 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Thanx for the URL, i'd been looking for those on PE site (and not finding them) for some time. We use a 2" cup with the same posts (preferred over the solid metal ones)

dave
I've used those ones too on a couple builds and they are great and inexpensive

Scott
Old 17th November 2011, 10:51 AM   #540
diyAudio Member

What type of wire do you use to connect the driver to the terminal? - thanx

Hide this!Advertise here!