Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

With all respect for Mark, I don't use them either. Technically they have a small benefit in providing extra stiffness to the basket, but it's a question of where you want your tradeoffs to be, since it makes a large frame even larger (relatively speaking) and needs an even deeper rebate, weakening the structure of the baffle itself. As always, name your poison.

Thanks all.

Normally I build my own cabinets, but this time I'm trying the flat pack version from Ben in Aus, which has the depth already accounted for in the driver cutout. I might see if I can get it without.

On the other hand, some sort of glue which damps might be good. Something with a filler of some kind. Hmm... I have some ideas I'll explore before I talk to Ben.

FWIW, the most recent budget drivers from Mark are using either stamped metal or injection molded composite resin frames of much lower profile that can probably work quite successfully without recessing at all - certainly is the case with the CHN70.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this used on more future models

I checked the spec on the thickness and the 2ndary bezel is almost 3/8", when you only have 5/8ths to work with that isn't much. Maybe I will just skip them.

Next time I build something though I have to plan the timing better. I've had a full house with my kids home from college and house guests. I haven't had a minute yet where I could listen by myself, even late night.

FWIW, the most recent budget drivers from Mark are using either stamped metal or injection molded composite resin frames of much lower profile that can probably work quite successfully without recessing at all - certainly is the case with the CHN70.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this used on more future models

I have FH's with Fe126En's but wish the Mark Audio's were interchangeable without modifying the cabinets. I'd certainly buy a pair if that were the case.

Poultrygeist,

The Alpair 7 might fit into the hole made for the FE126EN?

However the thicker driver basket will protrude; you can fix a 1/4" thick ring of MDF around the Alp 7 driver basket to take care of the flush-mount of the bezel. Even cardboard or foam-core would do the trick; afterwards you can disguise it with material and color of your choice.

The through hole for A7 is 103mm, FE12X = 102.2 - depending on accuracy of machining, it could be a tight fit, and note that with even without the extra bezel ring, the Alpair's basket is approx 8mm shallower before the magnet than the Fostex.

Both drivers are shallow enough that rear side of the baffle should be chamfered, but if the A7s are recessed, the chamfer should probably be deeper.

The through hole for A7 is 103mm, FE12X = 102.2 - depending on accuracy of machining, it could be a tight fit, and note that with even without the extra bezel ring, the Alpair's basket is approx 8mm shallower before the magnet than the Fostex.

Both drivers are shallow enough that rear side of the baffle should be chamfered, but if the A7s are not recessed, the chamfer should probably be deeper.

errata: - that should be as corrected above

Thanks (yet again!) Greg! :)

You're welcome!

For North Americans, this 3/8" thick recycled jute padding appears to be ~on a par with the 1/2" thick padding I salvaged from a law firm's re-carpeting way back when that I use[d] when serious reflections, noise abatement was required, i.e. low frequency eigenmodes of large cabs, ~aperiodic loading, etc.. http://www.rugpadcorner.com/pure-felt-rug-pads/

If jute is still used in high end business establishments, one can probably still get as much as one can haul away from an installer for free like I did if there's no local recycling collection of it.

GM

Re Bob's not on toeing out, - that might work better in wide rooms with no close side walls - in narrower rooms, the toe-in would probably help reduce early side wall reflections . The worst case I personally had with that was trying to play FHs in a basement room 8'6" wide and 7'6" ceiling - that room never sounded particularly good.