Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2011, 09:56 PM   #511
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, now I'm cooked. I've been following this thread on and off for a while and figured this would be my next build. I just bought a used pair of 126e drivers for not much money (check the swap meet board and you'll see it). I'm looking to use leftover material from prior projects if it is not in bad condition, but I'll spring for a 4x8 sheet if I have to. I have more tools than I did the last time I built speakers about 6-7 years ago (Proac 2.5 clones). I also have a digital camera now, in fact I've gone through a bunch, so I'll take pictures this time as I go. (7 years ago digital cameras were not yet ubiquitous).
Old 5th November 2011, 02:19 AM   #512
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
Thanks Man, one of the sweetest looking Loudspeakers!
Sounds sweet too!
Old 5th November 2011, 06:34 PM   #513
yai is offline yai  Germany
diyAudio Member

i built my first pair with CHP70, but i will make another pair with Alpair 7. i asked Mark when and where to get the gen3 driver in germany (or elsewhere in europe), so he said end of december in this strassacker shop. thats ok with me, but how much difference will there be between the gen 1 and gen 3 versions? only difference in damping?
Old 6th November 2011, 02:26 AM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Sounds sweet too!
I am thinking about building the MkIII, but I have been bitten by the OB bug So before I start, I would like to get some opinions - how the does the sound FH MkIII compare with OB designs, I think I have read somewhere that the FHs are as close as one can get to open baffle using a "box" design approach...

Thanks,
Jaz
Old 6th November 2011, 03:58 AM   #515
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
I am thinking about building the MkIII, but I have been bitten by the OB bug So before I start, I would like to get some opinions - how the does the sound FH MkIII compare with OB designs, I think I have read somewhere that the FHs are as close as one can get to open baffle using a "box" design approach...

Thanks,
Jaz
Well Jazbo, you have really asked a simple question. The simple answer is "it depends."

I've seen the Mk III, but would be interested in which Open Baffle speaker get's close to it sonically. The problem is that there are a lot of OB designs out there, but in the end the sonic signature is very room dependant.

Like any other design, OB's are a compromise (actually a lot of compromises) and what suits one room may not work well in another.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 6th November 2011, 08:33 AM   #516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Well Jazbo, you have really asked a simple question. The simple answer is "it depends."

I've seen the Mk III, but would be interested in which Open Baffle speaker get's close to it sonically. The problem is that there are a lot of OB designs out there, but in the end the sonic signature is very room dependant.

Like any other design, OB's are a compromise (actually a lot of compromises) and what suits one room may not work well in another.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Terry,

Understood, I was just trying to get a sense if the MkIII would be able to provide the "open" or "no-box" characteristics that the OB designs are commonly known for, say in the same room. Again, just seeking opinions, as there can be no definitive answer given all the variables involved as you have rightfully pointed out.

Jaz
Old 6th November 2011, 09:14 AM   #517
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It comes down to execution. One of the "boxiest speakers i have ever heard was an OB Iris 15".

Do a good build of the FH3 (using good mulyiply or better) and they do a really good job of disappearing

The way they energize the room will be different.

dave
Old 6th November 2011, 10:58 AM   #518
jemraid is online now jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I made mine some time ago and have been listening now for a few months, previously to some Needles which I thought were very good. The FH3 is in a class of it's own, I've said this before and I can hear the groans but some people are new and may not have heard it.

A brilliant and beautiful design plus the MA drivers go together to make something that is far more than the sum of it's parts. One of those happy accidents that humans occasionally create.

Jim
Old 6th November 2011, 11:03 AM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It comes down to execution. One of the "boxiest speakers i have ever heard was an OB Iris 15".

Do a good build of the FH3 (using good mulyiply or better) and they do a really good job of disappearing

The way they energize the room will be different.

dave
When you say "multiply or better" does that mean I can use solid wood for construction of the cabinet? Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 12:04 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

My primary system consists OB Tang Band W8-1808s over H-frame Alphas. I enjoy my FH3s in a secondary bedroom system.

Hide this!Advertise here!