Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2010, 08:01 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
There's a small inconsistency in the latest docs in the stuffing info on pg. 6: "1.2" (12mm) cotton or wool felt"
fixed the typo

Quote:
Also: Is the green fluff denser than the orange fluff?
There is still a lot of work on figuring out the best damping strategies. The green & orange are intended to be part of a continuum. The differnt colours represent different areas to fill (as does the red cloud). As results for various drivers come in, i'll keep adding these as starting points (amps & room placement will also fill a role, as will how much bass an individual likes)

dave
Old 28th October 2010, 03:02 AM   #42
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Today I found I was in posession of several 4" no-name drivers that came from Meniscus a couple years ago. I had not given them any attention at all.
I hooked one up to gather parameters and then compared them to those of the candidate drivers mentioned here. Hmmm...within range.

f(s)= 75 Hz
V(as)=6.9 liters
R(e)= 6.92 ohms
S(d)=70 cm*2
Q(ms)=2.9
Q(es)=1.07
Q(ts)=0.78
L(e)=0.8 mH
BL=3.78
SPL=86.2 dB/w/m

The driver looks a lot like this:

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8802

Well...I'll be knocking an FH Mk3 together over the next few weeks. I'll tweek the dimensions to match the driver.

I'm thinking to use an oval supra baffle with the driver off set and back mounted.

What type of wood??? Hmmm...

Should I consider phase plugs for this?
Old 29th October 2010, 03:29 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Hoookay ... I have now started the process of obtaining a pair of Alpair 7s for a Frugel-Horn Mk3.

Do we know the dB/W sensitivity of an Alpair 7 in this cabinet?
Old 29th October 2010, 06:02 PM   #44
wagtail is offline wagtail  Ireland
diyAudio Member

i have put 0.3lb of polyfill in each speaker, equal amounts in each chamber. this less than i started with (about 0.4lb+) and dropped the damping a couple of inches lower in the second chamber, i'll let them play like this till they are well and truly run in.
well pleased with them, more base than i imagined, but then this my first taste of full-range.
going to make deflectors and suprabaffles as per originals would this be ok using same dimensions?

Last edited by wagtail; 29th October 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: pressed wrong key
Old 29th October 2010, 08:18 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Is there an alternate download of the plans from post 8? Mac.com seems to be down.

Thanks!
Old 29th October 2010, 11:46 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

My bad, found the updated file.
Old 30th October 2010, 12:03 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadie View Post
Is there an alternate download of the plans from post 8? Mac.com seems to be down.

Thanks!
On the subject of baffles, perhaps this is something? – A superelliptical suprabaffle. I haven't found the look of suprabaffles appealing to my tastes. I've given it some thought, and a superellipse was suggested to me. The superellipse seems to work with the shapes of both the cabinet and driver. What do you think?:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kristleifur; 30th October 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 30th October 2010, 04:07 AM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When you consider supraBaffles, you need to consider the affect of the edge termination. This famous page from Olson gives a good foundation.

dave
Old 30th October 2010, 10:43 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
When you consider supraBaffles, you need to consider the affect of the edge termination. This famous page from Olson gives a good foundation.
Thank you! I remember seeing that one before; It didn't stick.

Just to clarify - the flat superelliptical baffles wouldn't be worth it, then? Or would they be an improvement over a suprabaffle-less setup, only not as optimal as an SB can be?

Another thing - What effect if any does the cabinet have on the driver efficiency? Is the system efficiency the same as the driver's, or higher or lower?
Old 30th October 2010, 04:20 PM   #50
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

A profile called "thumbnail" is often used on table edges. The radius of curvature varies through a 90 degree arc.
I'll back mount my driver and use a part of this profile @~45 degree tangent around the driver. When I use a larger bearing with the bit above the point of contact along the cutting edge is changed to accomplish this.

I'll also use the full profile on the supra-baffle edge...maybe backed up with a large roundover?...

I'll also offset the driver between edges to avoid the "point source" ripple shown for the cylinder on the left, above.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 30th October 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!