Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2011, 06:33 PM   #411
diyAudio Member

Default Center channel speaker for Mk3 surrounds?

Thanks to the great minds on this forum, I've built four of these lovely puppies. Recently I tried them in a 5.1 system using one of my Tekton FE126E bookshelf speakers as the center. To say I was blown away by Dana Krall's "Live In Rio" Blu-ray is a total understatement.

If I had the space I'd build another FH Mk3 for the center but I'm very limited here as the TV is in a Queen Anne bedroom cabinet.

My space constraints for an enclosure are no taller than 7 inches, no deeper than 7 inches, and no longer than 30 inches. Should I consider a bass reflex design and could the FE126En be mounted in the center of the enclosure?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated by this newby to DIY.
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:46 PM   #412
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Optimal BR for FE126En is about 4 litre and reachs to about 110Hz. I will be drawing this plan and releasing it sometime.

Keeping to 126 is best to retain similar voicing.

The size you have is pretty close to that of a microTower. Scott, is an ML-TL of some sort with Zd of 50% possible?

dave
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:58 PM   #413
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

As Dave has pointed out you certainly can build a speaker for the center channel. As I understand it, the center speaker is confined pretty much the vocal range to lock onto the dialog shown on screen, so the frequency response doesn't need to go any lower than 100-200 Hz to serve as intended. The use of the same driver will eliminate any discontinuities in the sound and should sound very good.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:17 PM   #414
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
As Dave has pointed out you certainly can build a speaker for the center channel. As I understand it, the center speaker is confined pretty much the vocal range to lock onto the dialog shown on screen, so the frequency response doesn't need to go any lower than 100-200 Hz to serve as intended. The use of the same driver will eliminate any discontinuities in the sound and should sound very good.

Best Regards,
TerryO

And providing the Surround decoding (receiver/HTPC/processsor etc) has modern levels of calibration / XO filter settings, you can generally achieve a close to seamless tonal balance across the front row.

As mediocre as it sounds for music alone, I never ceased to be amazed at the sophistication of EQ and calibration built in to my $400 Denon AVR1610 receiver - plug in the mike and punch the Auto-Set up on Audyssey, go grab an adult beverage of your choice ( mountain plantation green tea is nice and relaxing) and you're done.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:33 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

I'm using a Blu-ray with 5.1 analog outputs to decode DTS-HD for my non HDMI Panasonic XR55 digital receiver. The music videos are just stunning through these wonder horns.

I'm not missing out on two channel sound with the Mk3's as I'm using a Niles amp switcher on the rears and listen to them via a modded PlayStation and MiniWatt ( fits nicely under a night stand and the boss lady hardly knows they're there ).

She might have objected to four Frugal Horns in the bedroom had they not replaced larger stand mounted speakers. She still thinks watching HDTV requires a surround system.

Dave, might you be releasing your center speaker plans by fall?
Old 4th August 2011, 04:33 PM   #416
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
Dave, might you be releasing your center speaker plans by fall?
You mean the little 4 litre? Not specifically a centre, just an excercise to show that if you want bass the FE126e needs a horn (or a woofer). I can make these happen before fall.

dave
Old 4th August 2011, 06:19 PM   #417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You mean the little 4 litre? Not specifically a centre, just an excercise to show that if you want bass the FE126e needs a horn (or a woofer). I can make these happen before fall.

dave

Would the milli work close enough for the surround processing / bass management to take over?
Old 5th August 2011, 01:55 PM   #418
diyAudio Member

I won't need bass from the center speaker which primarily handles vocals. The FH + sub gives me all I need.
Old 5th August 2011, 04:10 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

I hope to build a pair soon and will , most likely, be using CHP - 70's. Could someone provide a short list of amps or "The One" to mate with them? Of course, most bang for the buck and my taste for music seems to be in line with most on this thread... Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #420
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
I won't need bass from the center speaker which primarily handles vocals. The FH + sub gives me all I need.
I've got my center ( Alpair7) XO'd at 120 and mains at 110 - works like a charm - so provided you can get close to that from the FE126E in a small enough enclosure to "fit the decor", you should probably be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!