Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Welcome to the forum. :)

I assume corner loading affects only (or primarily) the output of the horn

Correct.

I ask this because I am hoping to maximize the sensitivity up to 500 - 1000hz. And then again above 8kz or so.

Efficiency across the majority of the BW is inherent to the drive unit. The enclosure only impacts the LF response. To increase midband efficiency, you'd need a front horn.

What should I expect if I loaded the front of the driver with a L'Cleach flare?

Depends on the dimensions of said horn, but a major imbalance in sound pressure levels between the low frequency region and the midband is the most likely result.

Lastly, I saw that the Tang Bang bamboo cones W4 1320s worked in a FH Mk3. The W4-1337 have similar specs would these work

Should do.

...and give the extra SPL above 8kz that I think I want?

Difficult to say from the published data, since the HF region is so heavily compressed that it doesn't give a clear idea about how it's behaving. Possibly.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Another option to enhance below 500-1000Hz and above 8kHz would be to attenuate frequencies above 500-1000Hz and below 8kHz, via EQ.

Software EQ in digital player, MiniDSP, analog EQ, whatever...

Sorry for overstating the obvious.

Last edited:
Good news.

My A7.3's just arrived from Darcher Audio. Dan had been hunting for grey sets for weeks and finally found a few pairs. So I now have all the parts to go ahead with the FH3's.

The only issue is the ply I bought is 19.5 mm thick (measured all the way around).
I have heard mention of needing to change dimensions in one of the build threads but cant find the post(s).

I will have to change some cuts but should I be recalculating all the cuts to maintain exact internal dimensions/volume?

Has anybody already drawn up plans or have the sketchup file so I can adjust it properly? (Winking at you Dave) ;)

Cheers
Dean

Greetings 'single lovers'!
This might be a asked befor but I can't seem to find it.
What is the reason for the 4.8 degree tilt of the tqwt part of the fh3? Would there be any reason not to go ahead and build a straight version (for a pair of CHR70)?

aesthetics, mostly, but considering the driver mounting height is approx 32" ( 809mm) it also helps with vertical dispersion

Scott could answer more technically, but I think the answer to the second question is: "yes, there are reasons not to change the geometry & CSA of the second section of the folded path"

FH3 is derived from a hypex horn. If you make the front straight, you change the cross section and horn expansion profile; this will in turn alter the gain & functional BW of the box. The dimensions / shape of FH3 generally pull several duties; the sloping front provides the expansion while also angling the driver up slightly, since for some people the mounting height would otherwise be a little low.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks Scott.

I doubt either will damage anything, and you may or not hear much difference.

Remember the single number listed on the spec sheet is DC resistance. Even the simplest graph of test sweep for T/S parameters will show the wide range of impedance with frequency.

In the case of the A7.3 the REVC = 5.4Ohm, but the impedance curve shows the peak at 70Hz of approx 35 Ohms, a minimum slightly higher than 6 Ohms ad at 300-400 HZ range, a fairly smooth rise that with minor resonant peak at 1500Hz, continuing to approx 12 Ohms at 40K.

Since any driver mounted in an enclosure may likely display different impedance characteristics from the test specs, and music is far more complex than any test signal, there will be few points at which the nominal "match" between any driver and any transformer coupled amp is "perfect" .