Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2011, 01:39 PM   #391
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Alpair 7s are not a hardship.
+1. Mine are not in FH's, but it is simply amazing what comes out of these little guys.

Bob
Old 12th July 2011, 01:41 PM   #392
Munga is offline Munga  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
+1. Mine are not in FH's, but it is simply amazing what comes out of these little guys.

Bob

I can't wait!
Old 12th July 2011, 02:25 PM   #393
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have said something like this before, but not in this thread;

The FH3's and in my case the CHP-70's are a culmination of excellent design by dedicated enthusiasts. Just occasionally something occurs that takes a design out of the ordinary into the extraordinary. This combination of a simple and elegant cabinet coupled with a drive unit designed with DIY in mind becomes something far more than the sum of its parts.

One of those happy accidents that illuminates our lives with so much pleasure.

Jim
Old 13th July 2011, 10:10 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

I know this is a bit of a cheeky question , so I apologise in advance.

I'm planning on building these and at least trying my FE127en in them. But a buddy of mine is also going to do a pair and he needs to buy drivers.

So my question is: What are the best drivers?

I ask because there are a bunch of options, I can go with him on shipping and buy a set as well .... etc etc

TIA,

Fran
Old 13th July 2011, 10:18 PM   #395
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You will get different opinions based on people's tastes & amplifiers. My personal favorite is the Alpair7eN. Chris (and those with flea watt amps) like the FE126eN. Our local opinions are based on EnABLed drivers.

If he is rocker, i'd suggest EL70. If he has an amp that he wouldn't really like to hear have all its warts exposed then EL70 or CHP70. No one has heard the new CHR70 but it is also a candidate.

Of the other drivers that we know work fine (FE108, TB W5-1611, more) i have no opinion not having heard them.

dave
Old 13th July 2011, 10:33 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

He has varied taste, not just rock but bits of everything. He's using a cary 300b amp so he has some watts - prob 7-10W or so.

OK so it looks like alpair 7 so, and I have my fe127en to try....

Thanks,

Fran
Old 14th July 2011, 04:48 AM   #397
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fran - I played with a few drivers in a pair of test mule FH3s a few weeks back, including:

FE126En (EnABLed) - even stock, Fostex's latest version is great bang for the buck in this enclosure - certainly my favorite for in your face party/rocking (as long as you're partying at under 100dB)

FE127E (EnABLed) - definitely works well enough, but lacks the jump/snap of the 126

TB W5-1611 (stock) - my first listen to this driver - big surprise - very nice indeed

Alpair 7 (EnABled) - saving the best for last - not much else to say, other than that power below that of 300B (or in my case 6CA7 in triode mode) might not be enough for some folks. (well, and that I've yet to hear this driver sound less than glorious in any enclosure, and there's been more than a few)

It's been almost a year since I heard the EL70 or CHR70 in this enclosure, but I can recall preferring the FE126E at the time. In Dave's very large space the dynamics offered by the Fostex's higher sensitivity worked for me, although lacking corner reinforcement, they definitely suffered from thinner bottom end compared to the EL70 and Alpair7.

OTOH, Colin (Toppsy) and several other builders in the UK have been more than happy with CHP70 in their FH3.
Old 14th July 2011, 08:20 AM   #398
diyAudio Member

Seems like the alpair 7 is the way to go then..... and if I make some alternate front baffles I could try the FE127 as well.

Dave: would it be possible to get the dxf file for the FH3 - I'm assuming you're using a cnc machine? I understand completely if you don't want to give it out.

Fran
Old 14th July 2011, 01:40 PM   #399
diyAudio Member

Just had a look at madisound and it seems the alpair 7s are out of stock. Where can you buy 'em?

Fran
Old 14th July 2011, 02:35 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair7 availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Just had a look at madisound and it seems the alpair 7s are out of stock. Where can you buy 'em?

Fran
In response to a July 8th email inquiry, Madisound estimated they would be back in stock in 10 days....

Hide this!Advertise here!