Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2011, 12:56 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

First time poster from Austin TX here, I've been lurking for awhile just trying to soak up all the knowlege I can. I'm a novice speaker builder but I have a fair amount of woodworking experience.

I'm in the middle of building a set of the Frugal 3's loaded with the 126en's. If i like they way they sound I'll build more so I've set up a jig for the sides; the nest set will be faster and easier for sure.

A quick question, would shifting the center line of the speakers down a half inch or so significantly affect them and would I need to lower the front of the baffle the same amount?

I'll post up some pictures anda few build comments when I'm down the road a bit. Thanks a again for all the info here, I hope I can contribute in some way in the future.
Old 5th July 2011, 01:01 PM   #382
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Wingman. I have the opposite problem- my woodworking skills/equipment are something south of rudimentary, but have a lot of speaker design and measurement capability. Drop me a PM if you're interested in combining some skills- I'm in NE Austin.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:57 AM   #383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Welcome to the forum, Wingman. I have the opposite problem- my woodworking skills/equipment are something south of rudimentary, but have a lot of speaker design and measurement capability. Drop me a PM if you're interested in combining some skills- I'm in NE Austin.
I'm up in the Lago Vista Area, I'll catch up with you at some point.

Still wondering what the effect of lowering the speaker some would be, if any.
Old 6th July 2011, 04:23 PM   #384
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman03 View Post
First time poster from Austin TX here, I've been lurking for awhile just trying to soak up all the knowlege I can. I'm a novice speaker builder but I have a fair amount of woodworking experience.

I'm in the middle of building a set of the Frugal 3's loaded with the 126en's. If i like they way they sound I'll build more so I've set up a jig for the sides; the nest set will be faster and easier for sure.

A quick question, would shifting the center line of the speakers down a half inch or so significantly affect them and would I need to lower the front of the baffle the same amount?

I'll post up some pictures and a few build comments when I'm down the road a bit. Thanks a again for all the info here, I hope I can contribute in some way in the future.

If you mean the horizontal center line ( driver height from floor), I'd doubt that lowering by 1/2" would have little effect on internal loading characteristics, and no other changes should be required. As referred to a couple of times, we made a set of mules with removable mounting plates to allow for quick testing of a range of drivers, some of which ( e.g. TB W5-1611) ended up with a different mounting height, with no apparent problems.
Old 6th July 2011, 05:40 PM   #385
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Zd of the driver has been very specifically choosen to cancel the 1st objectionable harmonic, but a 1/2" shift will likely have only a small effect if any.

dave
Old 11th July 2011, 04:06 PM   #386
Munga is offline Munga  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Are there any frugel horn plans in the works for the alpair 10? I would be willing to pay if needs be!

Derek
Old 11th July 2011, 05:42 PM   #387
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Larger drivers are proving to be a tough nut to crack.

dave
Old 12th July 2011, 03:01 AM   #388
diyAudio Member

thats a shame. Alpair 7's it will have to be then!
Old 12th July 2011, 03:41 AM   #389
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7s are not a hardship.

I prefer them myself.

dave
Old 12th July 2011, 05:59 AM   #390
diyAudio Member

In fact in a way it is a good thing. It makes the descision of what driver to use for me, and saves me money! Thanks guys.

Hide this!Advertise here!