Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2011, 12:59 PM   #251
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dear Poultrygeist,

If you do make the FH3/CHP-70/Dared combination please do let us know what you think, I'm very keen to read what you think.

Regards - Jim
Old 1st April 2011, 02:15 PM   #252
diyAudio Member

I have seen, scrolling through these pages, a lot of 'hard edged' enclosures.
This will give diffraction. Specifically as the enclosures get smaller.
Like is said in the "Fonken" website;
Quote:
My favourite page in Olson's Acoustics is the one with the graphs that show the affect of box shape on diffraction and from this that a box with heavily champhered edges gets you most of the way with little effort.
The sound will clean up if BOTH the inside of the baffle and the outside edges of the enclosure are beveled, that is you just take a router with a 1/2 inch curve and just blast it off. It gives a lot more sound stage.
albert
Old 1st April 2011, 10:12 PM   #253
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Posted earlier.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post2359824

dave
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:00 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
indeed, I see now. I like the implementation of http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post2365327.
I see a small angled curve is covered too.
Just a question though, has a rounded or beveled edge on de inside been considered?
In FH Mk3 beta document 25-oct-10 this is not shown.
On my Fostex 103 horn this was very important, it cleared up the sound. But that speaker is very shallow I admit.
albert
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:30 AM   #255
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post
...has a rounded or beveled edge on de inside been considered?
It is a given. Driver cutouts are depicted as in the drawing snapshot attached and item 5 in the notes is standard boilerplate. Thanx for pointing out that it is missing. I really need to find some time to add to the drawings.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif driver-cutout.gif (16.4 KB, 846 views)
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:21 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

Default Back chamfer

Dear Triode-al and Dave

I used a little round rasp on the inside of my baffles and finished the chamfer off with some really coarse sand paper;
Click the image to open in full size.
Outside on a windy day and wearing a mask!

I am running mine in now, using Daves trick of a tuner played very quietly through them for a week or so, but do have the occasional sneaky listen for 5 mins or so. I only listen at low volume and they seem to need less power each time I do and as for the sound well, every time it gets so much better.

Warmest wishes - Jim
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:43 AM   #257
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
I used a little round rasp on the inside of my baffles and finished the chamfer off with some really coarse sand paper;
I've used that method before -- usually after the baffle has been attached already (because it is a retrofit )

dave
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:15 PM   #258
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
. . .I really need to find some time to add to the drawings.
dave
Dave, Thanks,
and for Jim: I seem to notice also in the photo of your enclosures that you have 90 degrees angles (bottom left) .
jkzk8l.jpg
The sharp edges gives audible intermodulation distortion. The three sides next to the speaker really need smoothing/rounding.
albert
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:24 PM   #259
diyAudio Member

Dear Al,

Mine are still running in and I haven't got the front [false] baffle on yet. They do sound fine though with good stereo instrument postioning. I'll wait awhile and see what others say, once done cannot be altered.

Warmest wishes - Jim
Old 6th April 2011, 04:00 AM   #260
diyAudio Member

Default Helder or HifiMeDiy for 4 Ohms

Hi Jemraid,

I'd like to heartily agree with Kristliefur's recommendation about the Helder or HiFiMeDiy T3 boards for driving 4 ohms. Also to recommend the Virtue amps if your budget can afford them.

These examples of good Tripath implementations sound very close to a combination of really good tube SET coupled with the drive and control of monster solid-state amps. It's best described as "lively, juicy and powerfully extended with finesse AND slam"

I use this type of amp to drive the bass section my HolisticAudio H3's which run at about 3 Ohms, and the levels they attain are stunningly loud... and clean.

Just look for the Helder 2050MkII or the HifiMeDIY T3..... also Sure Electronics is selling similar units through Parts Express...

It won't cost you much to Try a pair and put your concerns to rest!

All the Best!

Hide this!Advertise here!