Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2011, 04:14 AM   #241
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If the felt is of appropriate density, air passes right thru it. Low frequencies don't see it at all and HF get absorbed (as required)

Attached is a FH3 diagram with 1/2" lining. Magnet on the FE126 is slightly smaller than the cutout.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FH3-damping.gif (7.2 KB, 854 views)
Old 28th March 2011, 02:24 PM   #242
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default FH3 + MA CH*-70 + Amp for 4 ohm

I've been trawling though the site for information about a solid state or chip amplifier to complement the MA 4 ohm speakers. I've come up against many a resounding NO from various sections of the amplifier forum.

And then as you do on here came up with the solid state equivalent of a 300B, the Jean Hiraga Le Monstre Class A 8 watt and it's long thread stretching over a number of years. The amplifier will work into 2 to 20 ohms I read on there.

I put a question into the thread last week about 4 ohm speakers and as happens on this site many experts will devote time to a problem and Lineup is one of them.

What Lineup has done over the last three days is make alterations to the original Le Monstre to make it completely compatable with 4 ohm speakers and give out 21 watts, instead of 8. The thread can be picked up here: Hiraga "le monstre" on page 77.

The relevant circuit diagram is in post 767 with the components with altered values in red. I will be making one of these, it'll take me a couple of months but I will report back to this thread with the results.

I take this opportunity to again thank Lineup for his hard work.

This site would be as nothing without all the people like him who freely give their expertise.

I'm sure that in expressing my gratitude I speak for many others.

Warmest wishes - Jim

I removed the pillow stuffing from the front section of my FH3 and put 1/3 of it back stretched out thinly about 2/3 of the way down from the speaker result; even better bass.
Old 28th March 2011, 05:27 PM   #243
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is easy enuff to make a 4 ohm gainclone... you just need to make sure you have appropriate rails.

The Monster should be a better amp by some margin thou.

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 05:45 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Dear Dave,

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, my FH works well and sounds great with my LM3875 GainClone.

But!! :-) I heard Colins 300B drive his FH's and thats why I looked around for a 'benchmark' solid state amplifier. I hope it comes at least somewhere near to the 300B's.

Warm wishes - Jim
Old 29th March 2011, 11:35 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

Most Tripath TK2050-chipset amplifiers love 4 Ohm loads, and sound great.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:40 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kristleifur

I've downloaded the TK2050 datasheet and am looking at it now.

Regards - Jim
Old 29th March 2011, 01:22 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
I've downloaded the TK2050 datasheet and am looking at it now.
Enjoy! There are significant board layout considerations with this chipset, so you very probably want to take a predesigned implementation ...

Maybe some of these prebuilt boards would work for you:
These by Helder-Hifi: TK2050 MKII - Helder-HiFi -EBay ( ebay store: Helder HiFi items - Get great deals on Electronic Components, DIY assembled PCB's items on eBay Stores! )

These by HifimeDiy: Hifimediy|Amplifiers.

Then 41Hz.com in Sweden sell very high quality unbuilt kits, e.g. 41Hz Audio:AMP11 kit (Standard 32V)
Old 31st March 2011, 06:53 PM   #248
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

FH3 / CHP-70 and small tube amp?

Anybody have experience driving the FH3 with a small tube amp?

I might want to build a pair with CHP-70, to use in a small room with a small tube amp. I am however a little concerned about the driver sensitivity of 85dB, and the 4 ohm impedance.

The presumed natural warm, yet detailed sound of the CHP-70 may suit my ears better than the FH1 with Fostex did. The guy with a 300b amp who bought them off me was however very happy.

Svein
Old 31st March 2011, 07:53 PM   #249
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein_B View Post
FH3 / CHP-70 and small tube amp?

Anybody have experience driving the FH3 with a small tube amp?

I might want to build a pair with CHP-70, to use in a small room with a small tube amp. I am however a little concerned about the driver sensitivity of 85dB, and the 4 ohm impedance.

The presumed natural warm, yet detailed sound of the CHP-70 may suit my ears better than the FH1 with Fostex did. The guy with a 300b amp who bought them off me was however very happy.

Svein

In brief , I think 5w and up would probably be fine for smaller rooms/moderate listening levels ( >300sq ft /90dB SPL). Of course all tube watts don't sound the same - I'm simply not that big a fan of most 300B SE *that I've heard - preferring a 2A3 or even EL84 pentode.

I've been quite happy with dual EL70 ( CSS kissin cousin to the CHP70) on less than 5W of EL84 classA P/P in a moderately large/open space, although 12W of pentode sister amp delivers even more authoritative bass and firm dynamics.

*mind you the Allen Wright DPA300 "P/P" amp (wow that was 8 yrs ago now ) was revelatory - but I dare say beyond the budget of any DIY contemplating a $100 pair of FR drivers in a design such as this
Old 1st April 2011, 01:12 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

I went with Fostex drivers in my first pair of Mk3's so I could drive them with a Miniwatt ( 2.5 wpc ) which offers good sound and decent headroom in a 15X15 room playing small group jazz. They also match well with a Sure TK2050 ( with Meanwell PS ) but they sound much better when a tube preamp is added.

I'm thinking of springing for a Dared 2a3c ( 8 watts? ) which would hopefully offer the option of trying the CHP70 in the second set of Mk3's I've already built.

Hide this!Advertise here!