Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 02:58 AM   #181
diyAudio Member

Not having first hand knowledge of any of the drivers suggested for the Mk3 beta build - EL70, CHR70, CHP70, A7, FE126/7, FE108eS - I had a couple of questions:
1. Would the CSS FR125S be included with this grouping of drivers?
2. What are the trade-offs between these drivers?
Old 7th March 2011, 04:00 AM   #182
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No one has yet tried it, but the sim Scott postd shows that it should do OK. I only have concerns about the abrupt overload characheristics. Someone will just have to try it. Having a pair of beaters her i guess i should add it to my trials along with FE127

As to the differences, you'll need to troll the forums for people's opinions of the sonic character of each specific driver.

Bass reproduction (the kind of damping regime, and the amount of boundary loading) will tend to track Vas/Q.

dave
Old 8th March 2011, 12:13 PM   #183
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default The B&Q Experience

Hello all,

For those who don't know B&Q is a UK Do It Yourself shed.

I went to our local one with me litle cutting drawing and asked if I could have a word with the person who did the cutting. His name is Shane and he not only assured me that all the cuts would be parallel and square but he would be able to repeat a cut perfectly after moving and resetting the stop. He then cut a 140 strip from an offcut and we checked it, it was fine.

When I got to the checkout there wasn't even a cutting charge! The cost of the 18mm MDF sheet was 16.48.

My thanks to Colin and Dave for 'putting me right' I was going to use 15mm.

Warm wishes - Jim
Old 9th March 2011, 04:42 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

I have just built a Pass F5 which is tremendous. At the moment it is driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars. These speakers have a sensitivity of about 94db/m I think. The whole setup sounds great. However, getting rid of the crossover would be another step in the right direction, which probably means changing speakers - hence I'm considering full range. I guess the only way to know whether the Mk3's will give me what I'm looking for is to build some. Can any of you guys offer any advice?

Colin's Mk3's above look superb and have wet my appetite.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:45 PM   #185
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

chalkandtalk,

Well now my personal favourite are the Frugal Horns with the Mark Audio CHP70 drivers. Jim (Jemraid) also loved this combination when he came over for a listen. Not as efficient as the Fostex FE126En but they sound more natural to me and I don't think you'll have any issues driving the speakers with a Pass F5 amp. I have driven them with a 6EM7 SE integrated valve amp that is only around 1W though I much prefer them with a pair of 300b Monobloc amps with around 7W on tap.

Sound wise the difference is a trade-off of deeper perceived bass and better dynamics with a more natural overall sound from the MA over a more forward, slightly brighter midrange from the Fostex. Though the Fostex do extract more information at lower listening levels. Basically down to the type of music you generally listen to.

I could be persuaded to part company with my featured Fostex Frugal Horns for a reasonable sum. Would save you the effort of the build and they have high WAF with a modern look in the light veneer they are skinned in. The money from any sale of these speakers will help me fund doing flat-pack kits here in the UK.

And from your Avatar you don't live that far from me. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 9th March 2011, 06:26 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments Colin - PM sent.

Apologies for asking for advice here. I haven't meant to sidetrack the thread. These MK3's seem to fit the bill in many respects.

Aidan
Old 9th March 2011, 06:43 PM   #187
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkandtalk View Post
Thanks for the comments Colin - PM sent.

Apologies for asking for advice here. I haven't meant to sidetrack the thread. These MK3's seem to fit the bill in many respects.

Aidan

a quick listen will tell all ( just leave room in the boot for the drive back )

a happy home for these speakers is the most important thing, not how they got there
Old 10th March 2011, 05:56 AM   #188
paulwd is offline paulwd  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've nearly finished my pair of FH Mk3. I've had them up and running for only 2 days, but already they sound fantastic to me. Put the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers in them. Couldn't be happier

Thanks to the guys behind the design of these. All the information on this site (and others) has been invaluable.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th March 2011, 07:48 AM   #189
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice build there paulwd.

If I may make one comment..........may I suggest you rebate the bezel of the alpair7 into the front baffle. This will help greatly with imaging and defraction from the front baffle.

However, if you've only used 15mm for the front baffle you can always glue on a 9mm thick panel to make the overall front baffle 24mm thick and cut a hole in the 9mm to sleeve the driver bezel. This doesn't have to be full height but just be such it forms a featured supera baffle. A kinda design feature, hey
Old 10th March 2011, 08:32 AM   #190
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nice to see another set.

Colin's advice is good. I'd find a thin bit of solid -- doesn't need to be the full 9.5 (or 8) mm. You would need to rebate into the 15mm suffieciently to give a flush mount.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpair7-draw.gif (20.5 KB, 687 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!