Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Although many of you probably prefer plywood to MDF, with the latter I was able to achieve quite an acoustically dead cabinet. When I wrap on the sides of the Mk3 it sounds like granite. In comparison, my Zu Omens sound like a ripe watermelon.

Using MDF also allowed me to sand the baffle and sides so smooth and flush they look like one piece. I would not have been able to get this effect with naked plywood. I used automotive body filler ( Bondo ) in all the seamed areas and all joined surfaces were pinned and glued with Tight Bond.

I was unable to find any of the cloth felt like the Blue Jean Insulation but I believe the carpet backing that I scrounged from a junk yard Ford truck works as well. It was very easy to work with as the layers are easily pealed away to get it down to 1/2 inch or whatever thickness is desired.

I fashioned some back tilted crutch tipped outrigger stands from black painted PVC which look better than their description would indicate.

My 18 mm MDF Mk3 weigh 35 lbs each which is fairly heavy for such a petite floor stander.

The wife says gender wise the Mk3's are definitely female and since I do enjoy their curved backside I would have to agree.

My horns have now been in service for a few days. I find that I am having to re-educate myself about room acoustics. The room is about 17ft by 13ft. If I sit on one chair in particular the bass I hear is superb. The chair is in the back corner and you are sat against the wall. The bass drops off as you move to the centre of the room. This has made me re-evaluate my previous speakers which I now realise tended to boom too much bass when sat around the edge of the room at the back. Today SWMBO and I sat and listened to Toccata in Fugue - we were both very impressed.

Obviously bass is only one aspect of the sound. There are other differences too. At one point I connected up my old speakers but didn't like them and had to re-connect the horns. Process is ongoing.......

The wife says gender wise the Mk3's are definitely female and since I do enjoy their curved backside I would have to agree.

by "their" I trust she knows you're referring to the speakers, and that you realize verbalizing your enjoyment of curved backside of human females other than your wife's would be counterproductive to your being able to sit down to listen to the horns

I followed the original damping plan for the FE126En and weighed the acoustistuff to get the recommended amount in the "V". If you tease the acoustistuff too much it's hard to achieve the recommended weight in the "V". One bag from Parts Express was almost enough to do the four horns that I built. It's possible to adjust some of the acoustistuff through the hole after final assembly but only what you can reach. You're not going to get a hand deep into the "V" once the sides are glued.

I found a challenging part of the damping plan was gluing the felt to the driver compartment so all sides matched up and were covered uniformly after assembly. Lots of "figuring" before I found the right spots to glue the felt on the single board sides.

After buttoning everything up the sound is so good I haven't any desire to tweak anything at this time.

I'd just like thank all those who have contributed to this project. I have built a pair of Frugal horn mk3 with Fostex 126En. They have about 20 hours use now and are sounding truly superb. They are much clearer than my previous speakers (£3500) - no question. So thanks everyone :cheers:

All that remains to do is to finish the cabinets., and experiment a bit with stuffing and placement.

hello everyone, been following the thread and was wondering if there was anyone out there that could build these for me or cut the pieces out? My wood working skills are not very good and my last build( sachiko's fe206en) was great but looks very DIY. I already have some fostex 126e's and think this would be a great speaker. PM if possible or direct me to where i need to go, thanks.

Beau S.
in Texas

It's been a few weeks, but I have finally finished them. I used a small microfibre roller for the high gloss enamel paint and it worked a treat!

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the way these have worked out. Now I can sit back and enjoy the sound.

5678599610_c61ee287a3_z.jpg

5678040437_dc4fe2d316_z.jpg

5678599254_bdc169b40e_z.jpg