Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

I went to Toppsy's a few weeks ago and listened to two different Mk3s.

Firstly a big thanks to Toppsy.

The first pair had CHP70 drivers. I'm sorry guys but I wasn't keen on the top end. I have been reluctant to post as everyone else seems smitten with them. It could be that the drivers hadn't been run in well enough , or just personal preference.

Anyway, Colin then let me listen to a pair of MK3s with Fostex drivers. They were superb. The sound was much more open to my ears. I now wish I had spent longer auditioning these, checking out the bass in particular. Because since the visit to Toppsy's I have been reading about BIBs. I now have a bit of a dilemma:

FH mark3 with Fostex 126 or BIB with Fostex 206

I love bass and I love treble :scratch:

Platplass - I have read the thread about your BIB build. Have you heard and FH Mk3s? If so would you please compare them to your BIBs?

Last edited:
>>> FH mark3 with Fostex 126 or BIB with Fostex 206
>>> I love bass and I love treble

We all do! We all love midrange too! Cool thing is there are many options and somewhere out their you will find what suits your needs. Just look at Planet 10 and the Wooden site... your head will explode with options. I just finished BIBs with Fostex 127e and think they turned out really well. Fostex has a distinct treble that distinguishes them from other drivers. Some find it too 'airy fairy' while others fall in love with their sweetness. Lowther's possess even more. I can't afford the cavities.

I want to hear (or maybe build) the FH3 to hear what it can do in the bass. In the BIB the 127e does ok but won't rock the room like larger drivers can. I'd expect they offer a similar amount (but not the same sound quality) bass performance. I understand from builders that the 206e in an appropriately sized BIB rocks the house. The smaller BIBs plus a powered sub or H-frames probably provides better overall performance than a stand alone BIB tho... it all depends on your room and what you want to look at as well as listen to. I really do not think there are any bad choices here (only excellent) so don't sweat your decision, build something and enjoy.

Thanks for your subjective opinion on the Mark Audio drivers. I'd like to hear a pair so i can form an opinion. They do have their fans!

I went to Toppsy's a few weeks ago and listened to two different Mk3s.

Firstly a big thanks to Toppsy.

The first pair had CHP70 drivers. I'm sorry guys but I wasn't keen on the top end. I have been reluctant to post as everyone else seems smitten with them. It could be that the drivers hadn't been run in well enough , or just personal preference.

Anyway, Colin then let me listen to a pair of MK3s with Fostex drivers. They were superb. The sound was much more open to my ears. I now wish I had spent longer auditioning these, checking out the bass in particular. Because since the visit to Toppsy's I have been reading about BIBs. I now have a bit of a dilemma:

FH mark3 with Fostex 126 or BIB with Fostex 206

if that's a rhetorical question, the answer would be:

"dude, both :rolleyes: " -but the 206s might well need a tweeter, and is using commensurate quality components you could anticipate at doubling your cost of raw drivers - the build complexity of BIB would remain the same - i.e. relatively simple build

I love bass and I love treble :scratch:
personally I most love not "hearing" any one aspect of the overall sensory simulacrum, and deficiencies of dynamics, maximum SPL or extension at either end of spectrum not withstanding have found that easier to achieve with smaller wide-band drivers

Platplass - I have read the thread about your BIB build. Have you heard and FH Mk3s? If so would you please compare them to your BIBs?
provided it's an apples to apples comparison, those impressions would be interesting

BIB / FH FK3s

I haven't had the good fortune of hearing the FH MK3s, I'm tempted to maybe build a set this summer, but I'm also thinking about waiting for the big brother version to the finalized. (166en)

As for the BIB 206s - rock out they do. Bass and midrange is sweet. Handles Organ music with a vengeance. I can't hear high range well but my wife hears response up to 19khz on a sweep. Keep in mind that the 206 BIBs are large and are designed for corner placement, though I suspect bass would still be present if against a back wall. (Without side wall.)

I'm really enjoying the Mk3s and even more so since springing for the Dared 2a3. My Zu's have been extremely jealous for lack of attention since the horns came in from the garage.

I think you said elsewhere that you replaced the driver tubes, but what you running for outputs? I noticed a marked improvement in my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours when I swapped out Sovteks monoplates for EH Gold Grids - driving FE127 & 167s in "Fonken" vented enclosures - both somewhat more restrained in the midrange than the FE126E would be in the FH3.

Glad you're enjoying them - just be sure to give the Zu's some equal time - "poly" relationships can be very tricky

Hoop pine plywood finished in rosewood and satin clear with Alpair 7s
Difficult to show the colour in photos
IMGP2449s-3.jpg

IMGP2454s-3.jpg

IMGP2455s-3.jpg

IMGP2461s-1.jpg

Dear Jeff,

Here's the inside of mine;
if37tz.jpg

I'm still listening to them with the sides Blue Tack'd, I ran them for two weeks at low volume from a tuner and I've altered the stuffing three times now. I am making a Hiraga 'le monstre' amplifier and when thats up and running I might glue the sides on :)

Jim