Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2010, 08:22 AM   #111
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We are guessing that is will. I believe someone said they were going to do a test build.

dave
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:39 PM   #112
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
Went looking for plywood today ... Found smooth pure blond sheets of birch plywood, with two good sides per sheet. Wasn't expensive.

The guys at the store evidently liked the FHmk3 design, showing interest and asking questions. For instance they asked whether the curve at the back only looked good or if it was for acoustics too. I'll drop by with better drawings at the store in the next days – I think they'll be able to arrange a CNC job for not much money.

Make sure they understand that as simple as the cabinet looks in terms of number of parts, there's several years of calculation and iterative construction behind the drawings, and yes the curve is functional.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:26 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Make sure they understand that as simple as the cabinet looks in terms of number of parts, there's several years of calculation and iterative construction behind the drawings, and yes the curve is functional.
Yep, thanks. I'll be specifying all the pieces down to sub-millimeter accuracy, letting them know it needs to be accurate; I'm giving them precise and clear dimensional drawings, and will be cutting the curve myself. Only the paranoid survive ...

And yes, exactly! - People always ask that - is the curve functional?
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:51 PM   #114
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yep, thanks. I'll be specifying all the pieces down to sub-millimeter accuracy, letting them know it needs to be accurate; I'm giving them precise and clear dimensional drawings, and will be cutting the curve myself. Only the paranoid survive ...

well, sub-millimeter accuracy might be a bit excessive (have you accounted for thickness of glue-line? )
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:22 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In the words of the Churchill Dog...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD.jpg (10.2 KB, 1249 views)
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:51 AM   #116
HPH is offline HPH  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
I planed to build Frugel-Horn Mk3 for my Alpair 7, please advice me for the drawing, any tips during building process.
Thanks
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:31 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Hi
I just completed a pair of FH3. A lovely design and a very simple build. I first made an accurate template for the sides from 9mm high quality ply. I used this to draw the shapes for the sides, onto 18mm furniture grade baltic birch ply, which were cut slightly oversize on the bandsaw. I fixed the template to each of the sides with a couple of screws to finish off with a flush trim router bit.

The fronts and internal panels, including angles were all cut by bandsaw.

The hole for the driver was cut by hole saw and then chamfered on the inside with the router.

When gluing up, I started with the front, then bottom, top, back then centre, making sure each panel was perfectly square to the side by using a square. When dry, simply clamp on the other side to complete the sandwich.

Have tried several glues, but like Bison pu Timbermax in cartridge. Very strong bond, easy application, slightly gap filling and easy cleanup when dry.

I am waiting for veneer to arrive. Any advice on driver choice would be welcome. I quite like the look of Alpair 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01012011239.jpg (186.9 KB, 1133 views)
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:35 PM   #118
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7 is very nice.

dave
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:40 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Edit: dave beat me to it.

FH3 is designed to be relatively flexible / accept a reasonable range of drivers. Baseline are the Mark Audio CHR70, CHP70, & the CSS branded EL70. The A7 has also been used to good effect. The FE126En also works but as you would expect, this provides a somewhat more damped alignment which is best corner-loaded.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 2nd January 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:49 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Decision made. The piggy bank will be broken and a pair of alpair 7 ordered. If the fh3 sound as good as they look, then I suspect my trusty fh1 will be for sale shortly. I will report back when up and running. Thanks for the plans and advice.

Hide this!Advertise here!