Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2010, 11:34 AM   #101
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I took my set to CKDIY last weekend. The drivers are a no-name 4" from Meniscus and the Dayton ND16FA-6.
I'll have these in front of a mic later this weekend. I plan to do some response shaping.
The bass output will satisfy. String bass remained at satisfying levels in a large room.
Old 25th November 2010, 02:11 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

ED do you have ant pics of the fest
Old 25th November 2010, 05:00 PM   #103
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

The discussion thread is:

Ckydiy 2010 - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

the photos are here:

Picasa Web Albums - 10331609926574275... - CKYDIY2010
Old 25th November 2010, 08:25 PM   #104
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ed,

Good to see some experimenting going on. Those drivers don't have measles yet?

I saw no evidence of spots vrs no spots you had been planning... and what happened in the cap test (just a quick summary, i can go find the thread)

dave
Old 26th November 2010, 01:21 AM   #105
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

This is one side of the EnABL listening session. The other side was oriented with the lighter speaker to center. The sealed 2-ways are in OSB cabinets. Someone dubbed the lighter one "Straw Bales"...it stuck. The drivers are Silver Flute W14RC25-S-08 mid-woofers and a Vifa oem tweeter of BC26 pedigree.

I didn't give much of an introduction to the session. I did explain that I would be switching between the two sets of speakers throughout the session. I did announce which set was being heard, "A or B", without identifying which was the EnABL pair, until after.

Participants remarked on the increase in soundstage width and instrument placement within it. Some thought the crossover was the variable being evaluated. Those found it surprising that the difference was the cone treatment. Nothing scientific here. My purpose was to give participants an introduction to EnABL.

The cap session hasn't been written up by Wolf yet. This is the "unauthorized" version... It included 3) A-B-X segments. The music selections were identical for each segment. Two cap combinations were heard (A & B) and then we were challenged to tell which of A or B was heard in the third segment.

The first segment included 2 very good caps, one of which was the Clarity SA. I could not tell which one was being played as the "X" selection and answered with a "?".

The second segment was a comparison of series caps on BOTH the tweeter and mid-range, using mylar caps compared with Poly caps. I thought I could tell the difference and was correct.

The third segment was a comparison of NPE caps with poly caps. I thought I could tell a difference and was correct.

One participant sitting next to me was puzzled by the session. He asked what to listen for, so another round was conducted with the expressed intent of education. I felt he was not too happy with not being able to "hear" what was being spoken of.

I'm convinced that caps each have a unique sonic signature. One must combine an exposure to those differences along with an acquired knowledge of "where to listen" within a selection of music in order to "hear" them.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:28 AM   #106
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed LaFontaine View Post

This is one side of the EnABL listening session. The other side was oriented with the lighter speaker to center. The sealed 2-ways are in OSB cabinets. Someone dubbed the lighter one "Straw Bales"...it stuck. The drivers are Silver Flute W14RC25-S-08 mid-woofers and a Vifa oem tweeter of BC26 pedigree.

I didn't give much of an introduction to the session. I did explain that I would be switching between the two sets of speakers throughout the session. I did announce which set was being heard, "A or B", without identifying which was the EnABL pair, until after.

Participants remarked on the increase in soundstage width and instrument placement within it. Some thought the crossover was the variable being evaluated. Those found it surprising that the difference was the cone treatment. Nothing scientific here. My purpose was to give participants an introduction to EnABL.
interesting how some of these "unscientific" tests are very revealing of what people actually experience (no emoticon for ducking for cover?)
Old 26th November 2010, 03:11 AM   #107
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed LaFontaine View Post
This is one side of the EnABL listening session... Silver Flute W14RC25-S-08 mid-woofers and a Vifa oem tweeter of BC26 pedigree.

Participants remarked on the increase in soundstage width and instrument placement within it.
The W14 is a nice piece of kit... i have a pr of 8 ohm and a quad of 4 ohm here (all fully done up).

If one knows going in to listen for soundstage, it should be pretty easy to pick the EnABLed set every time.

dave
Old 29th November 2010, 12:26 AM   #108
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default drivers of interest

Measurements from the Meniscus no-name showed a ~5 dB dip in the response from ~2500 to 4700 hz...leading to a decision to shelve them for better days.

Fortunately, all was not lost. A Tang Band W4-1302SJ 4" Bamboo Cone was available and installed in the Frugels. Measurements confirmed what our ears told us...we have something to work with here.

RJB Audio has worked with this driver and provides background and suggestions for a contour network.

Bandit

Roman's site includes a nice feature for viewing the changes in response that occur with moving off-axis.

Based upon this evening's listening I want to consider other economical alternates. The Tang Band W4-1052SD will be acquired and run through its paces. This driver has been proven to have merit in the "Whetstones" by Taterworks over on PE TechTalk.

Whetstones - Taterworks Audio

Another Tang Band driver which I already have is the titanium cone W4-1337SD

And last, I'll pick up a W5-1611SA.

The time is right for Tang Band drivers through tomorrow. They are on sale @ PE for 25% off.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 29th November 2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 1st December 2010, 10:18 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Went looking for plywood today ... Found smooth pure blond sheets of birch plywood, with two good sides per sheet. Wasn't expensive.

The guys at the store evidently liked the FHmk3 design, showing interest and asking questions. For instance they asked whether the curve at the back only looked good or if it was for acoustics too. I'll drop by with better drawings at the store in the next days – I think they'll be able to arrange a CNC job for not much money.
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:44 AM   #110
HPH is offline HPH  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
Please advice if Frugel HOrn Mk3 can work out with CHP-7? is there any one who test FH-MK3 with CHP-7, can you please report.
Marry X-max
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!