"Full Circle" desktop ND90 speaker build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2010, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Full Circle" desktop ND90 speaker build

A number of years ago I got the idea into my head to build myself a set of speakers. I made a pair of Zigmahornets, and found a love for woodworking.

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Since then I have acquired better tools, most recently a CNC router.

I wanted to make a pair of small speakers to use with my laptop, as the built in speakers are horrible. It can be hard to convince the wife we need another set of speakers... I can't complain, a few years ago she OK'd a pair of JBL 4435s . Not exactly easy to hide!

I did a bit of research and it seems the Dayton ND90 is a nice driver for this purpose. A pair are on their way, but I couldn't wait so this is what I cut up this evening:

Click the image to open in full size.

I am calling them the "Full Circles" as they are somewhat circular, and because I have gone in a full circle - I started with my first Zigmahornets, found I enjoy woodworking, made some other stuff, and back to making speakers once again!

The cavity should be a bit over a litre, I may just run them straight to the amp. I guess I will see how they sound.

I cut this one up from a sheet of MDF. If I like them I will probably make the set out of some nice hardwood. I guess I could veneer the MDF, or maybe paint. I don't seem to have it all figured out yet...

Now, what are the chances the delivery guys are making late night dropoffs? Ha, hope the drivers get here before the weekend!
Old 27th August 2010, 06:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks good, might even be doable for the non CNC owners, I would think veneer would be the easiest, well after paint I guess.
Cheers Ron.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Yeah, this would be a very easy build with templates and a router.

It looks like I will be going the paint route. After rounding the inside of the driver cutout, I thought to myself how nice it looked... So I did the outer edges.

My order for PE arrived this morning! Very quick delivery, if not cheap. The extra fee Fedex charged was a special surprise.

I must get some better router bits. MDF is pretty abrasive, seems to kill HHS fairly quickly. Made some not so nice cuts.

Old 27th August 2010, 07:06 PM   #4
dooper is offline dooper  Canada
diyAudio Member

USPS > Canada Post is much more reasonable when it comes to brokerage fees. Not sure if PE will use the postal service but it would be worth looking into.
Old 27th August 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
USPS > Canada Post is much more reasonable when it comes to brokerage fees. Not sure if PE will use the postal service but it would be worth looking into.
Yeah, I sort of went against my better judgement. There were three options (including USPS), one specified additional fees so I picked the cheaper of the others. I guess there was a fee on this one as well. It did come quickly though, so at least I can play this weekend.

Got the cabinets glued up, just waiting for them to set.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here they are more or less finished.

I ended up painting them with epoxy appliance paint. Good paint, but it globbed a bit.

I stuffed them with undyed cotton batting.

They sound nice for what they are - desktop speakers.

Things I should have done differently:

-Recessed driver (If only they were round...) or back mounted.
-Used something other than drywall screws to affix driver.
-Built cabinet such that they tilt up. They sound better tilted up. I guess they would be fine on a raised bookshelf.

Now to decide what to build next!

Thanks for looking.

Old 1st September 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisentient View Post
-Recessed driver (If only they were round...) or back mounted.
-Used something other than drywall screws to affix driver.
-Built cabinet such that they tilt up. They sound better tilted up. I guess they would be fine on a raised bookshelf.
They look nice! You don't have to recess the thin frames like these. They really result in no sonic benefit in doing so. Button-heads are typical for flat-framed drivers such as these.

Again- nice job!
Wolf
Old 1st September 2010, 05:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
They look nice! You don't have to recess the thin frames like these. They really result in no sonic benefit in doing so. Button-heads are typical for flat-framed drivers such as these.

Again- nice job!
Wolf
Thanks Wolf

I read many of your posts in the PE forum while coming up with this design. I went with your recommendation of a 64 in sq. (4x4x4) cabinet for this driver. Well, changed a bit for the circular enclosure.

If I wanted to recess the driver it would just be for aesthetics. Back mounting would have been the best as it would protect the driver when handling (sticks out quite a bit).
Old 4th September 2010, 11:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Very nice. I love the clean looks.

I have to ask, did you build or buy the router and how have you found it??

Cheers
Dean
Old 4th September 2010, 11:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunk303 View Post
Very nice. I love the clean looks.

I have to ask, did you build or buy the router and how have you found it??

Cheers
Dean
Yea, Im curious also.

Hide this!Advertise here!