Frugel-Horn Mk3

Sorry to Chris? No sir the only thing I am sorry about there is that I don't have the same skills as him.

I was sorry to you Dave when you posted pictures and had the question marks regarding the bookmatching. I corrected you when I shouldn't have because I was noticing only the fine veneer matching top to bottom and hadn't paid attention to the bookmatching that Chris then pointed out to me.

Got all that? :D

Careful Cal, that explanation is starting to sound a bit Davish - and that's a slippery slope ... of which I'm prime evidence

Hi guys....regarding dampening. I have the acoustastuff and using the CSS EL70eN which I got from Dave. Does anyone have experience on the amount of stuffing needed below the driver. The drawing indicates 20 - 40g. Now I believe this acoustastuff is quite potent and that a person should use it sparingly. Should I go for 20g or has someone got a figure from practical experience with this driver?

Many thanks

Hi Dave, thanks I understand. Just thought there might be a "golden" number to start from. A value that would have been used if this was a commercial speaker sent out to a store where the buyer's scenario is unknown.

Not to worry, I'll start with 20g and work from there.

Cheers
"

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I read through the whole thread over the past week and wanted to see what you guys thought about using the JX92S in the FH3. I have some left over from the group buy way back, and while their T/S parameters aren't exactly similar to the Alpair 7.3, they could be a lot further off. They have the same xmax but a larger cone area which should make them even more bass heavy than the Alpair 7.3.

Since I've been in the single driver, low wattage amplifier camp for some 3 to 4 years now , i've gained alot of fidelity in my sytem . This Frugalhorn , voigtpipe venture has seemed to have advanced that fidelity greatly although sadly my voigt pipes (no H) were destroyed in a fire . the frugalhorns filled in nicely despite the second set of fostex"s that fell to improper EnABL information I recieved . With the FE126en being the most sensitive and easiest to drive with my 2.3 watt SET"s I just wonder if theres anymore work to do on these cabinets. also in a small room 9x13 with corners. What is the advantage of baltic birch over MDF??? The cabinet itself is not perfectly cut ,no CNC here,just the best I could do with the tools I have . I even drew the print dimensions on the outside of the side pieces 18mm. also used quarter inch cork up the whole front baffle , so this is a work in progress like this whole site is . And some great sound its producing. I plan building more of these whether out of expensive baltic birch 13 ply marine quality, or just MDF!!!!!!! They were a fun build . easy. Try to keep things in laymans terms we are not all PHD's. Thanks

Last edited:
The debate of Batic Birch Ply verses MDF will go on forever me thinks with both sides of the camp championing one over the other.

For large cabinets I am in the opinion that BBP is superior in performance over MDF. Especially in such designs were the larger sized drivers exert more energy over the smaller FR divers. In the likes of the FH3 which are quite small and well braced I have found no benefit in using BBP over MDF, as long as you use quality 18mm thick MDF. I must say though that the price difference between 18mm BBP and 18mm MDF here in the UK is around £20 (UKP). and if you use 15mm BBP aound £14 difference. So not a lot if you factor in the O/A cost of the speakers.

I have built and compared both BBP and MDF FH3's fitted with the same drivers and honestly cannot hear any sonic difference in sound.

I'm sure there are others that will disagree with my findings but we are talking small 4" FR drivers here and they do not exite the cabinets in the way say a larger 8" mid-woofer does.

A few more questions , and maybe they're answered in the other 972 threads. with the drivers sensitivity do we gain any more in this cabinet, sensitivity that is . and frequency response, and this may be damping dependent . as far as the FE126en is concerned. youve already dazzled me with brilliance now baffle me with BS.??????? thanks

What can I expect the differences to be if I try the Fostex Fe126En in place of the CHP-70eN drivers I have installed now? Both in terms of efficiency (I'm driving them with a 6W tube amp) and in sound characteristics? I'm looking for more SPL, but not at the expense of SQL of course. My room is 12' x 17' and while it gets loud enough, I sometimes feel the need for more power to adequately support the music. The other option, of course, is to buy a more powerful amp. I will do that at some point, but that's a much more costly alternative!

Thanks,

Tom