Frugel-Horn Mk3

The major issue in panel sound production is transparency. Wood is a pretty good conductor of sound. The stiffer and harder the wood, the better it conducts sound. This suggest that MDF might really be the better choice for small boxes. I am thinking of even softer materials; polystyrene bead-board or Celotex.

Or perhaps a laminate of a couple materials. Omega Loudspeakers uses an interesting (and I believe proprietary to them) combination of materials, not unlike what you previously used. (Image courtesy of a user on Omega's forum.)

Attachments

• omega_material.jpg
    omega_material.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 453
Or perhaps a laminate of a couple materials. Omega Loudspeakers uses an interesting (and I believe proprietary to them) combination of materials, not unlike what you previously used. (Image courtesy of a user on Omega's forum.)

Hmmm. My guess would be low density fiberboard (Celotex?) bonded with an elastic adhesive to 12mm BB. For those who don't know, I used to use 1/4" cement board (HardiBacker) glued to 3/4" MDF with Liquid Nails.

I'm going to try 1/2" bead-board sandwiched between 5mm plywood, using something like PL Premium (urethane) adhesive. Won't be soon, though.

Bob

Hmmm. My guess would be low density fiberboard (Celotex?) bonded with an elastic adhesive to 12mm BB. For those who don't know, I used to use 1/4" cement board (HardiBacker) glued to 3/4" MDF with Liquid Nails.

I'm going to try 1/2" bead-board sandwiched between 5mm plywood, using something like PL Premium (urethane) adhesive. Won't be soon, though.

Bob

Omega? I believe it's 'softwood MDF' laminated to a thin ply layer, and then their 'R compound', which is basically bitumen with some talc added.

Bob

What type of joinery and adhesives would you anticipate using with core materials of such different properties? PL for the laminating only, or joinery as well?

What type of joinery and adhesives would you anticipate using with core materials of such different properties? PL for the laminating only, or joinery as well?

I have used PL to glue up complete speakers. Advantage: Long open time. You can put the whole thing together in one pass. Disadvantage: You need at least 24hr before applying any shear to the joints.

I anticipate a solid wood frame around all panels, like a MDF skinned door. That way, all joints are wood to wood.

BTW, I use Titebond I for all of my builds. PL would be for special cases, sort of like Bondo.

Bob

I have used PL to glue up complete speakers. Advantage: Long open time. You can put the whole thing together in one pass. Disadvantage: You need at least 24hr before applying any shear to the joints.

I anticipate a solid wood frame around all panels, like a MDF skinned door. That way, all joints are wood to wood.

sorta like airplane monocoque / beam box then?

BTW, I use Titebond I for all of my builds. PL would be for special cases, sort of like Bondo.

Bob
Bondo = Terry Olsen's not so secret Polyester tone sauce ;)

Just a question , I'm planning on using the fostex FE126 in my frugal horns I built out of (dare I say MDF) . Should the polyfil go all the way up into the woolfelt area or stop right at it. and the Supra baffle .would it help to make it out of BBply or just keep the MDF all the way . Hey I had MDF laying around for a different project and my friend from pa. just got the FH3 flatpacks,so thought I would try it in mdf. thanks. Kevin PS.all 18mm

A tip

I'd like to ad a little 2cent tip here for those of us that use square joints or biscuted joints to join the wood together on these cabinets ,maybe even the rabbited joints after you think you have the 2 pieces of wood glued and joined,run a flashlight, lite of course, down the length of that joint. You may be suprised what you see on the other side. even the best joints I thought were good. Remedy ad glue!!!!!!!!!