Frugel-Horn Mk3

I have read the entire post! At work! I have still not got a really accurate picture of what the FH3 sounds like. I have heard all the descriptions and am just about to order a flat pack.
How does the bass perform. I wont be listening to hip hop ALL the time, but i wonder about how much LF is going to come from a small box and speaker. Can any one who has built one let me know,

We did a direct comparison to some much larger (12") speakers.

Using the CHP-70, they sound like they go low. It's only when you sit them next to said bigger speakers that their LF output is shown up - if we hadn't compared, I'd've guessed bass down to below 50Hz. They will impress.

Chris

I have created the wrong impression, listening to Wagners Tannhauser at the moment, but i like a "bit" of LF. I will give it a go, its not a huge investment, the flat pack and drivers, and will post my Bass impresions for any potential "Hip Hop" er's who happen to be tuning in,

Slightly off topic, but....

I demo'd the attached speakers at the Lone Star Audio Fest in May The small speaker is Alpair 7 in a 36" transmission line, the large speaker is Tang Band W8-1772 in a 45L BR. Both have F3 in the 40's. Both produce outstanding bass in the Embassy Suites room. Those who prefer jazz and girl-and-a-guitar generally chose the A7. Those who prefer rock generally chose the TB. Why? The A7 is a bit more lively and has better presence. The TB has more oomph in the upper bass. I prefer the A7 for baroque and classical (in the strict sense).

The A7's are now flanking my wide-screen where they replaced Fostex FE166En's in a 40" MLTL. The receiver crosses them to a sub at 120Hz. The A7's are hands down a better, more balanced sound than the 166's. The receiver XO works great for movies with the internal EQ set to EQ the room as flat as possible. For music, I generally run the receiver direct (2-channel, no possessing) and EQ from my computer.

Bob

Attachments

• Shane's Picture.jpg
    Shane's Picture.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 865
Slightly off topic, but....

I demo'd the attached speakers at the Lone Star Audio Fest in May The small speaker is Alpair 7 in a 36" transmission line, the large speaker is Tang Band W8-1772 in a 45L BR. Both have F3 in the 40's. Both produce outstanding bass in the Embassy Suites room. Those who prefer jazz and girl-and-a-guitar generally chose the A7. Those who prefer rock generally chose the TB. Why? The A7 is a bit more lively and has better presence. The TB has more oomph in the upper bass. I prefer the A7 for baroque and classical (in the strict sense).

The A7's are now flanking my wide-screen where they replaced Fostex FE166En's in a 40" MLTL. The receiver crosses them to a sub at 120Hz. The A7's are hands down a better, more balanced sound than the 166's. The receiver XO works great for movies with the internal EQ set to EQ the room as flat as possible. For music, I generally run the receiver direct (2-channel, no possessing) and EQ from my computer.

Bob

Bob; I found pretty much the same thing when switching from FE167E/FE127E combo to Alpair 7 for the front row 3 (IIRC crossed many 10Hz lower to the LFE channel) . The forward presentation that I don't find at all obtrusive on most music can definitely be a bit overbearing on HT in my smallish (320sq ft) room.

How much computer EQ do you find they want for music only?.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For those interested in deep bass and a bit of kick & a set of frugel-Horns, do keep in mind the optional deflector. Besides providing a slight improvement in bass extention & finese (the choke point in this design makes the gains much smaller than the original), it provides the ideal opportunity for a pair of powered stealth woofers. I'd suggest XO 60-100 Hz with a 1st order PLLXO on the FH3.

dave

How much computer EQ do you find they want for music only?.

I did an RTA with the mic at my head position, then EQ'd it flat to ~900Hz. Then I took a few dB's off of the 1-2kHZ peak, but this has to be done very carefully or all of the magic (presence) is lost. Finally, I took 5dB's off 10-15kHz. That top edge bothers me.

I am contemplating another profile with a 5dB notch 6-7kHz to soften sibilance. This would be for pop voice only. I wouldn't want that for instrumentals.

I did try a completely flat EQ and it sounded horrible. Flat, lifeless. THIS is the sound that I heard from most every setup at LSAF, including some very expensive speakers. All of these builders/vendors are so shot with a ruler flat FR that they don't realize that that is not what our ears hear. We full-rangers get this peaked, lively response by default since so many (is that better Dave?) of the drivers we use are peaked in the presence range.

Bob

Bob,

May I ask why you crossed over your A7 at 120hz? Why not lower - say 80 hz - since your A7 can easily go below that?

Thanks,
UL

I chose the XO for the best in-room response. There was a null that filled best with the higher XO. Besides, once the A7 is crossed well above the max excursion point, it can be played crazy loud with little distortion.

Bob