Frugel-Horn Mk3

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Scott!

Yes, the part about it being more forgiving of different drivers is important.

With my voigt (no 'h' ;)) pipe, the detachble baffles aren't larger than the front baffle. That cabinet has taken plenty of abuse (just ask Josh) and I'm looking to make this aspect a little more elegant for the FH3.

I will admit that I am way out of my element, but I would think that anything stuck in a corner will get some degree of horn loading. One of the things I want to try is a corner loaded woofer in a box that simply constitutes the back chamber. In other words a front loaded horn.

Bob

With tongue firmly in cheek, Bob. Wasn't that what your neighbor P.W.Klipsch did lo those many years ago? Sort of.......

John

Hi all,

After reading posts 473 onwards, and hearing a couple of pairs of FH3's. My personal opinion is though the box may not be strictly a horn it certainly has that 'easiness' about it, in abundance.

When coupled with the Mark Audio CHP-70 the sound is lifted from something ordinary [sorry Fostex!] into another realm of audio experience.

Thats just my personal opinion though :) Those with a sneaky suspicion that I might be right can audition mine, see the list.

Regards - Jim

i'll use birch plywood

15mm ( cutted according to the project) 96€
18mm ( cutted according to the project) 126€

Baltic birch ply is best and available in the EU ... I would use the 18mm (cabinets will be heavy). You can also tapper the 'inside' of the driver hole with a router for better fit and sound. Birch ply looks good when stained & polished.

Just curious, what are you guys paying for baltic birch plywood? 15mm and 18mm

I get my 18mm for $32 USD (5'x5')

excellent price - that's less than CDN wholesale jobber cost

FWIW, 15mm would be adequate for the FH3 if using FE126E (which needs less than 3 rebate ) or not rebating for flush mounting the Mark Audio/Alpairs.

If using 18mm throughout, parts, you'd likely want to modify dimensions to adjust for additional 3mm thickness per layer of internal parts. ( i.e. 9mm deeper / 6mm taller ) Sorry for the metric, try as I might I can't think in imperial when it comes to cabinet making - round to the nearest 32nd" is close enough.