Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 05:24 PM   #981
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE126 is about 6 dB more efficient. Like getting an amplifier 4x as large.

Sound quality will be quite different. You may or may not like that,

dave
Old 10th March 2013, 02:24 PM   #982
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Any suggestions for a removable baffle so I could try the Fostex drivers but go back to the CHP-70's if I don't care for their sound? Since the Fostex are square it poses a challenge. I don't want to re-route the baffle now and not be able to reinstall the CHP-70's. Can anyone point me to a removable baffle that's been used?
Old 11th March 2013, 09:26 AM   #983
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Tlarwa,

You might be able to find someone near to you whose made a pair with the Fostex's.

Personally I went to Toppsy's and listened to the Fostex's and the CHP's, in separate boxes. I thought the CHP's sounded up front, fat and rounded and the Fostex's rather thin and austere. As Dave says it's a subjective thing.

Cheers - Jim
Old 11th March 2013, 03:55 PM   #984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
Hello Tlarwa,

You might be able to find someone near to you whose made a pair with the Fostex's.

Personally I went to Toppsy's and listened to the Fostex's and the CHP's, in separate boxes. I thought the CHP's sounded up front, fat and rounded and the Fostex's rather thin and austere. As Dave says it's a subjective thing.

Cheers - Jim
Thanks, Jim. I'm looking to improve efficiency to maximize my current amp power, but not at the expense of sound quality. I'm quite happy with my FH3's as they are now, just wish I had a little more in reserve when I wanted it. Maybe an amp upgrade is a better option...

Tom
Old 11th March 2013, 04:27 PM   #985
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

A powered subwoofer may help things out a lot - and give the impression that the FH3's are bigger than they are.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:38 PM   #986
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
A powered subwoofer may help things out a lot - and give the impression that the FH3's are bigger than they are.
Definitely something to consider.

dave
Old 11th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #987
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
Any suggestions for a removable baffle so I could try the Fostex drivers but go back to the CHP-70's if I don't care for their sound? Since the Fostex are square it poses a challenge. I don't want to re-route the baffle now and not be able to reinstall the CHP-70's. Can anyone point me to a removable baffle that's been used?
Tom:

If Dave hasn't already contacted you, e-mail him - there is such a product in the Planet10 parts inventory that could easily be modified to work for you. At the very least he could snap some pictures of how it works.

Keep in mind that stuffing below the drive may need to be adjusted, depending on which drivers you're swapping around, and the stock driver mounting hole is a bit of a tight fit. If you're thinking of adding a removable baffle it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try to enlarge the opening to allow for "free-breathing" behind the driver. Five minutes with a jig saw and shop vac to clean out the debris should be all it takes.

When ordered as kit with this option, the front panel has a large rectangular opening, and is fitted with threaded inserts, and short panels that return around the sides. Gasket with self adhesive weatherstrip tape or similar.

Picture worth a thousand words.

Of course, the down-side to going this route is the finishing options if you want to retain the ability to swap them - I like the Rustoleum Accent Stone spray paint and matte Polyurethane clear top coat for that.

edit:

PS, yes an amp upgrade generally never hurts
Old 12th March 2013, 04:25 PM   #988
diyAudio Member

Would it badly impact the results if one built a "supra baffle" as a removable option? In this case, rather than the supra baffle being larger than the original baffle, I would make it the same size, but just removable, covering perhaps a third or quarter of the original.
Old 12th March 2013, 05:27 PM   #989
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Would it badly impact the results if one built a "supra baffle" as a removable option? In this case, rather than the supra baffle being larger than the original baffle, I would make it the same size, but just removable, covering perhaps a third or quarter of the original.

I can't see it performing worse than the stock enclosure width, but keep in mind that by the time you remove enough material from full length front panel to allow "breathing room" at rear of driver, there's not a lot of margin at the sides, and sealing could be an issue.

IIRC, our first prototype attempted to inset the removable panel and seal at the bottom with an overlapping dado. The method we ultimately chose was to allow for integration of the option using stock dadoed side panels, as well as by using threaded inserts on the front panel to make the swapping of drivers as convenient as possible.

There are some drawings on the full plan-set, and I hope to follow up with some photos later today

By making the Supra-baffle an additional layer, it even allows for the use of drivers larger than the 4" range originally intended - to date we've tried FE138ESR and TB W5-1611 with mixed results. The Fostex was unlistenable full range, but made a decent enough mid-woofer, I found the TB to be a bit dark and dry in the uppermost range, certainly when compared to Alpair7 or FE126E.

Last edited by chrisb; 12th March 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 03:39 AM   #990
diyAudio Member

Default Went with a new amp

Audio Analogue Puccini SE. 50w/channel. Should be more than enough to adequately drive my FH3's. it's a used piece, in keeping with the "frugal" theme. Should be here next week. It's SS to replace my tubes, but the reviews are outstanding so I'm anxious to hear it. I suspect the added headroom will make the CHP-70's sing.

Hide this!Advertise here!